Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop not working

• Please log in to reply

s.charlton1

s.charlton1

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have been given an IBM thinkpad T21 and if it can be got to work I can keep it.
When you switch it on all that comes up on the screen is the IBM thinkpad Logo and the words press f1 for IBM bios setup utility. Press f12 to choose temporary boot device.
nothing happen when Pressing these keys.
Theres no sounds or activity at all apart from the sound of the fan operating.
Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong with it and would it be worth getting it fixed.
I realise this is a long shot with not much to go on but any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I think this link is a good place to start
http://www-307.ibm.c...cid=TPAD-MATRIX

This is IBM thinkpad software and driver updates. They also have a troubleshooting guide. You may be able to find a manual for it here too.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah i was put in the same situation with a pair of t21s, i got both working for a while one was allready working with 2000 on and i used that alot. But the other was fecked so i charged it up for a couple of days and was able to install winxp home on it, this worked for a while but i stopped using it for a couple of weeks and now it wont turn on i get a quick flash of the lights and then it stops . So the other still works the CD drive is boogered so i cant install xp on it now which is a pain as i got pro.

Well you should charge it up for at least a day solid and then boot from a winxp cd that seems to work you just press f12and select the cd drive. Let it run as well when installing the first time the same thing happened once it seems to be a random thing with the screen it is on sometimes but not others be patient you should get it working.

s.charlton1

s.charlton1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
there was'nt a harddrive fitted so put new one in still wont do anything

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
"there was'nt a harddrive fitted"- what do you mean by that?

drats666

drats666

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
i think he means there was no hard drive in it.
like i had a old old old laptop its hard drive was 3 mbs.
it could only run dos.

well after taking the computer apart i found several things.. the hard drive that was in it wasn't connected it. so i connected it then i found that a ribbon leading to the monitor was cut . :tazz: