Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP programs will not open

• Please log in to reply

RedStorm

RedStorm

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey

i was closing down some tasks in task manager yesterday (only the ones with my user name beside it). The ones i closed were programs that were running the in background and it wasd causing a bit of lag with i was online gaming. So i closed them down and i went to open up BattleField 2 and it said This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel. I get this error with all my programs on my computer even the xp ones. and i can not longer access my control panel because when i do explorer.exe "experiences a error" and the entire screen just shows my desktop background then comes back. Ive tried repairing my windows xp it didnt fix it and my start>programs>accessories>system>system restore has the same error so i have no idea what to do. i really would like to not have to erase my harddrive but if i have to i geuss i will. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
go here

http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

download the link(shortcut) association fix

unzip and double click the reg file and say yes to merge

RedStorm

RedStorm