Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Floppy Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

DeltaOmega553

DeltaOmega553

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 and I tried connecting an external floppy disk drive to it via serial/parallel port (I honestly don't know what type of port it is... I just know it's located below the slots where my network cards go and that it's not USB)

I have no way of getting this floppy to work. I don't really know what port it is to look at in device manager to see if I can do anything in there.

Any ideas?

My floppy looks identical to this product:

http://store.l-f-l.c...rod&ref=PA2669U

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
1) Is everything connected?

2) Did the drive come with a disc? That would have the drivers that you need, install those. They help.

3) Look in device manager for unrecognised items.

4) Tell us if any of this helps

DeltaOmega553

DeltaOmega553

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

1) Is everything connected?

2) Did the drive come with a disc? That would have the drivers that you need,  install those. They help.

3) Look in device manager for unrecognised items.

4) Tell us if any of this helps

View Post

1) Yes

2) I got this external drive from a colleague so I don't have any drivers if it even came with drivers at all. Is there a site I could possibly get it from?

3) No unrecognized items

Nothing happens when I plug it in. No plug and play detection or anything. But in "My Computer" there's listed a regular old A: floppy drive and same in device manager that's always present regardless if the external floppy drive is connected or disconnected.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Go to the manufactuer's website and look it up. I think that drive is an OEM Drive that comes bundled, so try the toshiba site. Look on the drive for an identifying numbers, and then google it if they don't have the drivers.

Or go buy a $20 USB one :tazz:

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
yeh not to say you should just go buy one but usb hdd are alot less trouble.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
usb fdd*

DeltaOmega553

DeltaOmega553

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah. I bought one already.

It was a pleasure to just have it WORK by plugging it in. No drivers to install, nothing. *sigh of relief*

Thanks guys for your help.