Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connect to home pc via internet

• Please log in to reply

iammiko

iammiko

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all.

I have a dsl connection with a dhcp address. I have a router hooked up to the modem and outbound internet requests work fine.

But here is what I am trying to do:
I want to be able to use my work computer to access the home internet connection and specifically access a linux box that is hooked up to the router. The linux box is not my normal home pc, but rather it is a workstation that runs an application that runs my external home security system. I want to be able to view the home security system off this linux box.

I do not have the funds to buy a static IP address from my dsl provider (which would obviously make this easy).

Some options that are available to me:
1. I am the owner of a domain name, with shared space for my domain on an ISPs shared server. Can I somehow use my domain name as a way to connect to this linux box?
2. I am willing to buy shareware or software that could enable my DHCP address to be available for connection (if such software exists)

I am not too technical, but I am willing to read through manuals to find the proper setup configuration on whatever solution you offer.

Any ideas? Is this possible to do?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can set your system up for VPN (Virtual Private Network) or maybe you could use a webserver type application. Not really sure the best way but those are just two quick ideas

iammiko

iammiko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
dsenette: thanks for the suggestion. not sure how to do a VPN. will have to research that one.

any other configuration suggestions or shareware/packaged solutions anyone can think of? i dont think that i am the first person trying this, but i could be wrong.

i searched through this forum for similar scenario, but could not find one.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could also use VNC but VNC isn't very safe outside of a protected network...real easy to crack

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

The linux box is not my normal home pc, but rather it is a workstation that runs an application that runs my external home security system. I want to be able to view the home security system off this linux box.

I believe this is the most important part of the whole situation. There are versions of VNC that run on Linux. The one that I found and started testing, was called TightVNC. I did have installation problems but you may not. It kept asking me about my XFree86, so once I d/l and installed, it replaced my Gnome and KDE desktops with Xterm. Xterm doesn't bother me, I can execute commands and continue using system. But the VNC still didn't "quite" work right. You may be able to get it to work, I'm not sure of your kernel version or what packages you have installed, but you will find pretty decent documentation for installation on the site for the TightVNC.
What I'm getting at, dsenette is correct on VNC not being very secure. The thing is, when installed on a Linux box, you have to enter the machine using SSH first, then run the vncviewer command to execute the desktop. Obviously, this would add quite a bit more security to the VNC process since the entire execution of it would take place over a secure connection. If you would like to try that method, I am in the process of reinstalling my linux OS so I can get back to normal and try again. As this concept also puzzles me, I'm not one to give up easily and would like it to work for me as well, just had never thought of it. My normal remote/local Linux procedures take place in the terminal, I don't even boot to run-level 5, don't need GUI. But since it's serving your security cameras and system, I could see where graphical interface is necessary. I will continue on this since I too am interested in the results. Please post back if you are interested in this method and my results.

Greazy Mcgeezy