Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Data from Excel (Office 2003)

• Please log in to reply

JerryJustin

JerryJustin

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Someone in our warehouse lost some data, and want me to find it. I think it is gone forever, but want to make sure.
(Their computer runs WinXP, and has MS Office 2003.)

This is what they did: They opened Outlook, and read an email with an attachment (an Excel spreadsheet). They double clicked on the attachment, and it gave them the option to 1) open or 2) save, and 3) cancel. He chose "Open," and worked on it for several hours. He then just clicked the "Save" icon, closed the program, and went home.

The next day, he came back, and *gasp* all his hard work was gone!

It seems like he would have saved the file to a Temporary Internet Files folder...(because when I chose "Save As" using his original procedure, it took me to a temporary Internet Files folder). I opened every Excel item in that folder, but the one he wanted was not there.

Am I right in thinking that the data was saved in a place that often gets overwritten, and is therefore likely gone forever?

Thanks for any help!

Jerry

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
You may yet be lucky. It does store it in a temp folder, but it's one that doesn't get written over so much... if that makes ANY sense.

It stores them in:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK53

I'm not sure the "OLK53" is a standard, but it'll be OLK something. If you know the file name, you could always unhide everything and do a search for it. It'll turn up in Local Settings for sure (if it's still viable).

Good luck

JerryJustin

JerryJustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Alas, I tried that one. ;) It only saved an "autosave" that happens once every ten minutes by default---the rest of it wasn't saved (by CRTL+s).

But thanks anyway! :tazz:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
did you check the original email attachment to see if it saved it back on itself?
reopen the email then the attachment

JerryJustin

JerryJustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
First thing I tried (and him). Alas, nothing. Although, I still don't know "where" it would have saved the file had that happened.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Strange I just emailed myself a file opened it changed it
then reopened the attachment and the changed file was there.
Yo sure he did not save as
Put the name of the file in search or search for excell files on that day

laoloup

laoloup

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The same thing just happened to me too. But I couldn't locate the OLK## folder. I did a search of folders and file name but just couldn't find the folder. I also made sure I can see hidden files.

When I open a file attachment from an email and try save as, the path shows well as "Temporary Internet Files/OLK53". But the folder just cannot be located.

Please help!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
what email are you using microsoft outlook, outlook express or a 3rd party