Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Making Windows Undetected

• Please log in to reply

StrongBad

StrongBad

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I used to have Windows ME, then I bought an XP upgrade. Then a truly horrific crash happened during a service pack upgrade, meaning that I couldn't get into Windows XP at all. I reinstalled Windows ME to "C:\WINDOWS.000" and everything went fine. I had a dual boot menu, even though XP didn't actually work. The thing is, I've just started fresh, formatted everything, the lot. I installed ME, upgraded to XP, and now I want to install ME as a second OS, but it's now coming up with something like "Setup has detected another version of Windows. Either replace your current OS or exit setup."
The only thing I can think of is that when Windows XP had the horrible crash, some files were deleted that Windows ME setup looked for to detect Windows, so it thought I had no other versions installed. I've asked a few people what these files are, and one said to rename "winver.exe" and "win.com" to any filename, and setup won't see Windows, but it does.
Anyone know which files I should be temporarily renaming?

- Peter

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you are asking for trouble.

Windows me should be installed BEFORE windows ME in a dual boot scenario.

It is possible, but problematic to do it the way you are trying and will utlimately cause more trouble than it's worth.

If it were me, I would start fresh, create one small partitions using fdisk, install windows ME to partition 1, then install windows xp as a fresh install. A windows upgrade will do a complete install, including partition and format of the unused space, but it will ask you for evidence of upgradeable version of windows...you insert the winme cd, press enter, then it will ask you to reinsert the WindowsXP disk in and continue on.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ps. one signficant advantage of this is you can install partition two as ntfs natively, rather than converting, which results in superior i/o performance on the drive,

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
let me clarify on the above (I agree with you gerryf)

you need to install Windows ME before Windows XP. Wind ME would mess up the boot sector and you will have only Wwindows ME running unless you do some complicated troubleshooting and fix your boot sector.

StrongBad

StrongBad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So if I install Windows ME, then put in the XP upgrade disc, it will allow me to install a fresh XP as a second OS? I knew the upgrade disc let you do a fresh install by looking at an older Windows install CD (ie Windows ME) but I thought if it was on the hard drive it would give me no option but to replace the current operating system.
I don't want to go to NTFS because it's nasty, and I may be installing Linux some time in the near future, which doesn't support writing to NTFS.

EDIT: Check my profile for my PC spec if it helps, because when you mentioned partitions I think you meant I should create a separate drive for Windows, but I've already done that.

Edited by StrongBad, 29 June 2005 - 12:19 PM.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
I think you have the upgrade cd not the full version, so that means you might not be able to boot form it, it only works within an operating system.

But if that's the case then you will have to create two partitions on your drive to have both OS running. You will also have to install another copy of Win ME and upgrade it into XP.

StrongBad

StrongBad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I can boot from both my Windows ME install disc and Windows XP upgrade disc. The latter allows me to do a fresh install on an empty drive if I let it read my Windows ME install disc, as gerryf said.
I don't see how having an OS on a different partition will help me, because the setup programme just seems to refuse installing Windows as a second OS, it only lets me replace my current OS.

StrongBad

StrongBad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Another good question is: How do I get FDisk to work in XP? Every time I've wanted to use FDisk or format a drive to FAT32, I've had to plug the drive into a machine with WinME or 98.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
because you don't have a second partition already this would reject your installation.

format your drive and start fresh. you can partition your drive into two and install Win ME on one and Win XP on the other.

I have 4 partitions on my PC each with different OS. you can't install on top (well you can with xp, you can run two installations of XP on one partition as i have heard) so best way is to partiton your drive and install Win ME first followed by Win XP.

StrongBad

StrongBad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK, thanks for all your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

StrongBad

StrongBad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yep, it worked. I've got ME and XP running smoothly on different partitions, with a boot menu.
Thanks for everything!

drats666

drats666

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
error

Edited by drats666, 04 July 2005 - 04:19 PM.