Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet exporer

• Please log in to reply

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
http://www.pcmag.com...,1555033,00.asp

See if the above link helps. That's what I've been looking for. :tazz:

Advertisements

martisite

martisite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
mwsock
winrnr
nwprovau
rsvpsp

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Forget about the lsp fix. Did the link I gave you work at all?

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Here is another option from The Elder Geek.

Click [Start] [Run] and type sfc /scannow - make sure there's a space between sfc and the backslash - in the [Open] box.
(Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD ROM. If you don't have it available there is no point in continuing unless you have the files available on your hard drive and have changed the location of the XP installation files in the registry. If you do have the files copied to the hard drive, the default install location may be modified using the registry edit shown below.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value) // Value Name: SourcePath
Setting for Value Data: [Set using the path to the installation files, i.e. G:\WXPCCP_EN]
Exit Registry and Reboot

Running System File Checker is not a fast process. The machine I use for the majority of my everyday work is only a P-III 866 with 784MB RAM and a 20GB/5400 RPM C drive and it took between 7-8 minutes running off the hard drive. Expect much longer times if you run from the CD. Once the System File Checker has finished, reboot and test to see if the problem has been resolved. If the problem still exists you have three choices.

In-place upgrade of Windows XP

Repair Windows XP

Reinstall Windows XP

Since I'm 100% against upgrade installations of XP I won't recommend that option. A repair of Windows XP may solve the problem, but the fact the problem arose in the first place makes me suspect of the current installations overall integrity. I suggest a complete reinstall of XP after backing up all data files. However, before you select any of the above choices, look at Method II below.

martisite

martisite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
tke link u sent did will i will have a go at the others

thanks again