Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hackered [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

savorsea

savorsea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
In the computer previous to this one, I developed a similar problem, drove my computer guru nuts. I uninstalled Norton and paid for McAfee, weeks went by and the same problems arose...sooo uninstalled McAfee and bought Panda... lo and behold... same problem arose. Bought new computer and my computer guru installed the Norton. Things were running fine for over 6 months ... now Norton is acting like a hacker again?!? Guru thought my installed Sims1 + expansion packs were the problem with the last computer. Now I have Sims 2 and no ExPacks installed. I have had Google since this computer purchase. Wasn't until recently that I wanted to switch to Webcrawler and this problem appeared, otherwise everything was fine. I have an external Linksys - 4 port firewall and networked son's computer into this one. Still want me to switch AV?

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
panda, mcafee and norton are all symantec programs to a point, Panda gets it info from symantec, mcaffee adn norton are both symantec products.

The choice is purely yours. if you feel like attmpting that then I will supply the links for both the firewall and AV.

I too have sims1 plus all expansions and sim2 without expansion, ran into the same problem with my norton internet security after I install sims1, there is a strong possibility that Norton is just being a complete pain in the ***.

Norton is actually frowned upon by most of the spyware community becasue of these kind of issues, plus its not an easy system to remove with add/remove programs. you still have to use theri removal tool to totally clean your system of norton.

AVG Free
Kerio Personal Firewall Free

savorsea

savorsea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Both external and internal firewalls will work together?

I need to leave for awhile and will return with reading glasses for those [bookmarked] sites you included in your post. Wishing everyone there a peaceful, safe weekend. :tazz:

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
are you using a hardware firewall or are you calling the internal firewall the windows xp firewall?

if you are meaning the windows XP firewall it will automatically shut down with the installation of Kerio, if you have a hardware firewall, like in a router, then you won't need Kerio at all.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
I forgot to mention if you are using a hardware firewall and windows XP firewall is running that could cause a lot of your problems, having two firewalls running will cause that issue

savorsea

savorsea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi again,
You were correct! It was my spyware ... Lavasoft to be precise. So now i'm without my paid version(s) of any spyware detectors. Teatimer also showed up in my registry after uninstalling and my 'Puter Guru cleaned house.

Many THANKS :tazz:

savorsea

savorsea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Efwis, Please accept Paypal donation to help this site's agenda and thanks for unwraveling the mystery of who, what, and where that no one else could figure out in the months this plagued me. --savorsea

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.