Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NORTON 2005

• Please log in to reply

poorak

poorak

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
The good:
New inbound port blocking to prevent worm intrusions; faster preinstallation scans; improved interface.

The bad:
Doesn't include a full-fledged firewall; real-time scanner doesn't look for spyware.

What's it for:
Protection from numerous Internet menaces, including viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and spyware.

Who's it for:
PC users who already run a firewall; current Norton AntiVirus 2004 users looking to upgrade.

Business use:
Multiple seat licenses let you protect all of the computers in your office.

Essential extras:
A good firewall.

The bottom line:
Norton AntiVirus 2005 is a tenacious virus fighter that, given its premium price, should also--but doesn't--include a firewall. It's a good bet for Norton users who want to upgrade, though.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
I have personally userd Norton, not the 2005 version! but what i found out from previous versions that they are resource hungry and take lots of the CPU usage. I was told that the 2005 version is apparently lighter but I haven't tested it.

This is just from my personal experience.

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
I would not reccomend Norton 2005 for lower-end computers. Look at the rquirements of Norton 2005 and make sure you have all of them. Go to http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en.

poorak

poorak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
:idea:I hope everyone doesn't uses a mainframe computer and for the world to be securily and smartly protected you can't deny that NAV05 is best.:tazz: . You ay rely on other netwrk solutions but once you apply NAV05 it got to be better than everyone put there.But the darker side that you might know is tht system becomes sluggish and slightly less fast . But to get onething you have to sacrifice the other thing .........

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I use Norton Intenet Security 2005, which includes the firewall, and I do not have any slowdowns or system resource problems. On a system with a modern (meaning 2Ghz or better) processor, Norton works effectively in the background. I used NIS 03 for a couple of years, though, and I miss my Norton Alert Tracker, affectionately called the "tattletale".

I agree with paulcomputerman that Norton is not a good choice for older computers.

Johanna

Edited by Czarina, 30 June 2005 - 01:41 PM.