Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antivirus Gold/180search assistant etc [Resolved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

clicky

clicky

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm not sure if these things are related so would value your advice, please. I've been having some difficulty with internet explorer and mozilla firefox both closing themselves down from time to time (I'm running Windows 2000).
However, yesterday I also picked up the antivirus Gold infection and some associated malware like 180search assistant, homesearch assistant. The problem now is that though I can start the computer and get to the desktop, I cannot access My Computer, My documents, or Windows explorer. I also can't access internet explorer. Every time I go to open any of these I get the message 'Iexplore.exe has created errors and will be closed. you will need to restart the programme.. An error log is being created.'
I am happy to download files you suggest from another computer and put them on a USB drive but don't know how I will access them if I can't get into one of the above programmes. Does 'Hijackthis' allow me to do this somehow? Or is this difficulty with starting My Computer etc likely to be unrelated to the malware?Any help you can give will be much appreciated. Many thanks

Edited by ilago, 06 July 2005 - 02:14 AM.

Advertisements

ilago

ilago

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 363 posts
Hi Clicky

You problems do seem to be related to malware. Please follow the steps here http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852 and post a HijackThis log and the report from the ewido scan back into this topic so we ca see what is happening on your computer.

Let me know if you have any problems with following the steps in that topic and we'll try a different approach.

Edited by ilago, 05 July 2005 - 07:42 AM.

clicky

clicky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I much appreciate your willingness to help.
However, my son managed to download our important personal files from within the dos program and has now reformatted the hard drive.
I just want to say it looks like you're helping an awful lot of us. Thanks, and if I need help in the future when he's off at University, I know where to look.

ilago

ilago

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 363 posts
Hi Clicky

Thanks for getting back to us, we like to know.

This topic will now be closed. Should the original poster need it reopened please contact a moderator.