Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Is Better NVIDIA GEFORCE 6200 or FX5200 ?

• Please log in to reply

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Hi , Im wondering Which is the better card out of the Nvidia Geforce 6200 or the Nvidia Geforce FX5200 . They Are both 128MB and what could be the difference between the 2 cards .

Please Get Back Thanks alot :tazz: ;)

Advertisements

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Is this for gaming becuase both those cards are horrific. The 6200 is "better" only becasue it has new technology.

Edited by MOLEXRULZ, 30 June 2005 - 10:16 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Neither is horrific for the price they are both quite good all considered. Mind you there are better cards for not much more money like the ATI x300s arent that bad either. There is also a difference between AGP and the PCI-E variants the pci-e types often have a slight advantage and come with better features alot of the time.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
try stepping up to a Geforce 6600 256mb. u can get it for around $150 if you look hard enough. it has much better quality. I recommend getting the pci-e x16 version as it has twice the communication bandwith to the CPU than AGP x8. You do have to make sure your chipset supports pci-e x16 of course. If you must stay in a tight budget, or you just really want one of these cards, I would go with the 6200. It might not be able to play many newer games, but it should be able to take care of movies and most other things you might use it for.

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Yes , I will probably look at buying that 6600 but i have the money for the new 7800 GTX aswell and maybe ill get that one thanks anyway :tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

Yes , I will probably look at buying that 6600 but i have the money for the new 7800 GTX aswell and maybe ill get that one thanks anyway :tazz:

View Post

wait.... you have money, but asked about the 6200 vs 5200...... ;)

anything in the 6 series is going to be better than the 5 series.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
quick note about the new 7800. It works MUCH better when pared in a new SLI motherboard with an additional 7800. Yes two 7800s. $1200. You can get systems like this from Alienware, Falcon Northwest, and Hypersonic PC. If you have the money, I strongly recommend doing this as it will easilly DOUBLE the graphics performance. Some of these systems also feature other innovations like Dual-Core Processors, 1066Mhz Front-side-bus Processors, and 64-bit Processors. You're computer will be completely up-to-date for all the latest games. The only downside is that these systems can cost upwards of $5000... But if you have the money, GO FOR IT!

EDIT: A note to starjax, his question is valid as your point isn't exactly right... There is no "5" series. There is the 4 series (also known as the MX series), the FX series, the 6 series, and now the new 7 series. There are the older Go series and 2 series, but they are no longer made. I am not even sure the 4 series is still made. The difference between the FX series and the 6 series is that the FX was tailored toward gaming, while the 6 series was tailored toward multimedia. The new 7 series is also being tailored toward gaming, now that the FX is becoming obsolete.

Edited by stettybet0, 03 July 2005 - 02:54 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
They did make a 5 series... hence ther 5200, 5700, ect.
for example

and here

the 5 series was made with the nv3x series gpu. marketed as a geforce fx 5xxx. most hw sites refer to this as the 5 series.

a bit more info here:
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2031

and my point was that if he could afford somehting like a 7800, why then even ask about at 5200?

the 5200 simply won't be able to play all the games that will be coming out this next year. It is not a dx9 compliant part. you have to play games with dx8 compatability. not to mention that it isn't as fast. as previously mentioned the nvidea 6600 is the sweet spot for nvidia cards when compairing price/performance.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
As you may notice all the "5" series cards you pointed out are actually FX series cards... But I do agree with you on the 6600. Great card...

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

anything in the 6 series is going to be better than the 5 series.

Um what about the FX 5900 N59 XT 128MB AGP?? that is a much better card than 6600TD N66 256MB AGP. The reason is the 6600 is only 128Bit, the 5900 is 256Bit and the 5900 also has more pipes....

Thats also why the 5900 cost more than the 6600, Because its Far better :tazz:

rubinyogeek

rubinyogeek

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi , Im wondering Which is the better card out of the Nvidia Geforce 6200 or the Nvidia Geforce FX5200 . They Are both 128MB and what could be the difference between the 2 cards .

Please Get Back Thanks alot :) :)

go to www.club3d.com and look for the graphic cards.
if you need a pci card they have a geforce 6200 256 mb 3d card
and if you need a agp card they also have some of them the best agp was a geforce 7600 512 mb

Holkeye

Holkeye

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Rubin, that's helpful, but this topic is from 4 years ago.

neutralist

neutralist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Pick up the 6200 as this card supports Aero.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Don't get the 6200 - it's obsolete. I have one sitting on my desk, been there for the last 2 years. :) Not as old as this thread though!

TianNguyen

TianNguyen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I prefer the NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200 because I personally own one. hehe Jesus Christ! I was reading up on the advertisements from NVIDIA and they boasts the latest and the greatest. Even for an AGP this old, it still kicks some behind. Just saying.

Tian Nguyen