Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can You Ever Really Erase a Computer File?

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Moving to off-topic.

Advertisements

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
W00T. I just edited it using moviemaker so it would fit, enjoy!

Here's the Video

Edited by zxSolidSnakexz, 23 August 2005 - 11:13 PM.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Well, you can work the format options for a normal user as all ways or you can do a Nuke boot disk or a Zerofill! Im waiting for WarroriScot to get to me with that Nuke Boot Disk.
Regards RockyIV

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Are you? Did you ask for it and i have forgotten, i lose track of things easily. I have it on a disk somewhere from a magazine PCformat dont know if you get it in Aus, good software demo disk almost worth the 6 quid for the magazine. You know you could just google it save me rakin my pile o disks, i found this looks as good as anything probably the same thing bundled with the software i mentioned. http://dban.sourceforge.net/

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Run it a couple of times that should fix it, i looked back it was just i hadnt checked this topic in a couple of pages. Unless your uncle has done something to the government that they would want to use very expensive machines to try and recover the data then he should be fine no identity stealer has the tech to recover a hard drive after a couple of runs of something like that. There are more expensive security kits that will continually write over a drive with dummy data that makes it near impossible to recover the data but it was like a 100 pounds to buy it.

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
you could get a new hard drive for 100 so instead of cleaning it why not get a great new hard drive and get rid of the old one ?

i doubt that any identity stealer would go through all that for just a couple of files and the government wouldnt just target they would need evidance ! :tazz:

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Thank You! Now I can act as if I was a real computer-geek!!

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
wot do u mean ? :tazz:

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
I meant that, Now I can go upto my uncle and 'act' as if I knew everything about formatting and so, because he does not know anything about computers!!LOL!!And WarriorScot Thanks for the link! Just one question would this delete the OS?
Thanks!

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
yh most boot disks do but i would make sure !

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As far as i know it does, reinstall the OS it will make doubly sure everything is gone from the computer.

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hiya

I have been following this thread with interest as on the whole, its a good example of the sort of discussion I like to see.

here are a few things to consider

Evidence Eliminator and its compatriots do a fairly poor job of secure deletion. I had a link regarding EE in particular, but cant find it now, ill look around and post it later. There are freeware and shareware file recovery apps that can sometimes defeat them.

When a person being investigated for criminal activity has their PC seized for examination, its not solely the presence of an incriminating file that is significant. An investigator would also consider behaviour patterns, whether the file has been accessed once or many times, copied, moved, etc. They are looking for evidence of intentional use, not accidental or unknown possesion.

I know a chap who works for one of the leading software recovery/forensic analysis companies. He recently recovered enough data from a HD to allow the authorities to prosecute a fraudster. The HD in question had been cut in half with a chainsaw.

UKBiker

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
cool you know a lot about this topic man !

really, having a program like evidance eliminator and software to make stuff unrecoverable is not a good idea because in the chance that you get investigated then it shows that you are coverin something up which isnt so good.
But however it can also be used to delete bank and documents but why would u want to remove those if youre not throwin your hard drive away just keep it somewhere and i dont see why u should give it away if you dont need to use it anymore ?

dont you agree ? :) :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are selling the pc you would want to wipe the HD and keeping it in your home is worse because a identity theft ring would pay good money for the HD if it was ever stolen.

The conclusion is fire and heavy impact is the only way to really ensure that data is completely wiped. Or really really big magnets. Stick your hard drive in a MRI machine will wipe out beyond hope but not many of us have access to an MRI machine.

Edited by warriorscot, 24 August 2005 - 12:18 PM.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Whats a MRI Machine?