Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can You Ever Really Erase a Computer File?

• Please log in to reply

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
not really it means a average person with no extra privelages. for example he meant that a normal person higher than average or below wouldnt be able to get it back only the authorities can and they have special stuff ! :tazz:

Advertisements

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Ok Thanks!

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Not really no, complete destruction is the only way to be really sure but you can make data out of reach to the average punter.

View Post

Can you name the tools or softwares here as she needs help!
:tazz: Removed Incorrect link posted in error :)

Thanks!

Edited by ukbiker, 29 August 2005 - 08:14 PM.

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hiya

Rocky, the link you gave in your last post (#108) went to the "Join GeekU" thread. I have disabled the link so that the thread doesnt accidently get any offtopic replies as a result, so please make a new post with the link you meant to include. :tazz:

UKBiker

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Oh really sorry UKBiker! I didn't press the button 'c' properly! Here is the actual ink:
http://www.geekstogo...=ST&f=5&t=56989

meighnot

meighnot

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Of course if you want to be really safe, you could go with a degauss, then remove the platters and have at them with a hand sander.

It's difficult to destroy every bit of data (pun not intended) such that a computer forensics expert can't get it back, but if ever want to render your server useless in quick order, you could always let one of my former co-workers into your server room.

He degaussed a monitor using an external deguassing coil. He did this while the monitor was sitting on a shelf in the rack right above the server.

It was pretty effective too. He got the entire RAID.

And so another tightwad boss learned that spending some money on a backup system would be a good idea.

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
WAYS TO DESTROY A HD:

#1. Microwave :tazz:
#2. Thermite
#3. 200 shots with a .22
#4. Some Uranium 238 :) :) :)
#5. Run through a blast furnace, take the ashes and get some thermite :ph34r:, after the ashes cool, put in microwave for a week, mix with some HCI lol, and finally, eat the ahses! :ph34r: :tazz: :tazz: :) :) :) :) ;) :D

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Why would you out it in a microwave? It would blow up!!

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Isn't everything stored in your IP adrress? So if your doing something and thought you got rid of all the evidence? your wrong! Everything is syored in your IP Adress?? Unless you clear it? dont think you can..lol!

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

What is the best way to delete data of a DVD.  I Have a few Norton Ghoast backups on DVDs and this is a risk if put in the trash, don't think that any one would find it but if they do I am in troble.

View Post

Scartch the back real bad snap it into 4 and burn it! :tazz:

Advertisements

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

i was thinking about this too... i'm not an expert but from what i've learn at school i concluded that it has to do with the physical structure of the HDD... the orientation of the electrons(i think) on the magnetic sufrace gives the bits (1 or 0) -that is why if you place a magnet near a magnetic storage unit the data it's compromised(the magnet changes the orientation of the electrons) ... when you delete a file the O/S doesn't really delete it ... it just markes it as free space... and so you can recover the data... to realy delete a file you not only need to "delete" it
but actualy "rewrite" it (change the physical structure-the orientation of the electrons ) ... old systems had a feature called HDD Low Level Formating... i think that would completly delete the information on a HDD... i'm not sure but i think even the full format (not the quick one) would also do it... but the dissadvantage is that you lose all the information on your HDD ,not only the one you are trying to protect

oh and another intersting thing i found out with WIN XP (i don't know if it applies to other versions of Windows)... when you move a file (use the cut command)
on the same partition it doens't get "physicaly" moved ... Windows just changes it's "address"...

View Post

Thats is right, a magnet disrupts the flow of electron and protons which makes the atom unstable and the atoms contain the data so if you use a really strong magent for few mins or hours even better it is going to be very hard for them to recover! But the forensics have created a new Software which makes the atoms stable by making the protons and electrons stable!

Edited by Game_Freak, 28 September 2005 - 06:48 PM.

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Whats the point of destroying your HDD if you can just read the ISP History??????

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts

Whats the point of destroying your HDD if you can just read the ISP History??????

View Post

Its a question of evidence. If someone were to be investigated for illegal activities online, then recored such as those provided by an ISP would be valuable to the prosecution, but not sufficient in themselves (generally). A court would look for the actual possession of illegal material and a history of their access etc on that PC - including attempts to hide or destroy them.

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Instead of trying to erase files, would another approach not be to encrypt the files so they could not be accessed?

I'm years behind on this but the latest encryption methods are very advanced (is it 256-bit with who knows how many ciphers :tazz: ). Only someone with a supercomputer and a lot of time on their hands would be able to decrypt.

I remember years ago when PGP first came out there was an uproar because the authorities couldn't decrypt it.

Of course, this would be useless for areas on the hard disk where files used to exist, but thought I'd mention it anyway :)

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hello!

Just a friendly reminder to keep this topic as clean as possible. This topic was started about an article and is asking about deleteing a computer file.

Please refrain from talking about deleting a file so the authorities cannot see what was on the file, that is boarderline violating our ToS.

Again this is just a friendly reminder, as the topic will stay open :tazz:

I agree fully with this advice from Justin.

UKBiker

Edited by ukbiker, 30 September 2005 - 07:14 PM.