Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Open Office and editing pdfs

• Please log in to reply

awang429

awang429

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've heard a lot of good things about Open Office. I have a toshiba satellite running XP HOme. Are there any problems or issues that someone who is a daily user of MS Office will find a major hassle? Are there any advanced features in the OO Spreadsheet (pivot tables, functions) that you find in MS Excel?

Finally, I understand that OO can create pdfs on the fly. Can it edit or even annotate pdf documents created elswhere? What I want to do is take a pdf and put a note on it. I don't need to change anything "in" the original document, I just want to make notes.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you shouldn't have any issues. anyone who can use office should be able to jump in and use open office with no problems.

OpenOffice.org 1.1 introduces the one-click PDF export feature that enables you to easily create PDF files without the need for any additional third party software. This feature makes exchanging documents in a standard "read-only" file format a trivial task. The creation of PDF files normally requires relatively expensive third party add-on tools. With OpenOffice.org this feature comes for free.

OpenOffice.org now can export presentations and drawings to the Macromedia Flash format (.swf). Thus, it's now possible to view presentations in a simple web browser that has the Flash plugin installed. Recipients and users of Flash presentations don't have to install a special viewer anymore in order to view a presentation.

OpenOffice.org Calc provides full spreadsheet functionality incl. a huge number of statistical and scientific functions, pivot tables and charts.

awang429

awang429

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Does Open Office allow you to make notes on pdf docs? Or do you need to have full Acrobat to do that?