Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BT Voyager 105 USB ADLS Modem - Router Problem

• Please log in to reply

KempoMRK

KempoMRK

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, I've read about the BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem and can it even connect to a router? As I've just bought this Netgear RP614 Router, and it suggests things in the manual that I can't do.

As the USB modem only has a USB port, and one port for the phone line. So basically, am I screwed?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help.

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Well, how many computers do you have? Does one of them, (preferrably your main one) have a USB port and an Ethernet port? Does the netgear router have a WAN port in addition to a few (probably 4) ports? If your answers are: 4 or less; yes; yes or no, then this can be done in a couple of steps, only thing is, you wont really be using your router as a router, you'll be using it as a switch. So if it's a brand new router, and it cost more than you would like to spend on the project, I would recommend taking back the router and purchasing a switch/hub. Once you respond I will continue with the steps.

Greazy Mcgeezy

KempoMRK

KempoMRK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've got 2 computers. My main one has 6 USB ports but I don't think it has an ethernet port, can an ethernet port be bought though? The router has 5 ports, by WAN what do you mean?

And I bought it from Ebay, so I guess I wouldn't be able to take it back.

And really all I want this router for is so that I can go on the internet without having to turn the other computer on, which currently has the modem. And also PS2 online play.

Thanks for your help.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

I've got 2 computers. My main one has 6 USB ports but I don't think it has an ethernet port, can an ethernet port be bought though?

Ok, yes, you can purchase a network adapter and insert it into the computer. You could also consider a USB to LAN adapter. If you go this route, then you are back to having to have the first machine on for the other to connect.

The router has 5 ports, by WAN what do you mean?

Well, the WAN port could also be labeled by "Internet".

And really all I want this router for is so that I can go on the internet without having to turn the other computer on, which currently has the modem. And also PS2 online play.

Sorry to say, IF THE ONLY CONNECTOR THAT YOUR MODEM HAS IS USB, you will either:
a) HAVE to use the first PC as your connection point.
b) Get a new modem that also has ethernet connection.
c) Get a new router that has USB connection in addition to ethernet. (not sure if I've ever seen one)

Greazy Mcgeezy

KempoMRK

KempoMRK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah. that's what I thought. I'll have to get another modem. Could you recommend any good modems for this purpose?

Thanks again for your help.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Well, if your ISP doesn't have any restrictions as to what type/brand of modem you use, it really doesn't matter. Just as long as it has an ethernet port. But you will probably have to call your ISP after you purchase and give them the MAC address of the new modem. This is so they can apply it to their ACL and you can access their network.

Greazy Mcgeezy