Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible overheat? But what?

• Please log in to reply

Overdrive_1

Overdrive_1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi,
ok this is on behalf of a friend who was happily playing his pc yesterday before poof!! it went dead.
We tried to restart it with the power button, but the most that happens is the aux fans nudge about a 1/2 turn, as does the processor fan, and some lights blink for a second..no more. Nothing seems to startup or make any running noises whatsoever, and this process repeats until we turn it off.
Im no wiz, and neither is he..so we havent touched anything that we dont understand. Could something have overheated, if so what can we check? Visually everything looks ok on the surface...no black marks or burns! :tazz:

Any help would be appreciated..oh and heres his basic spec

3000xp AMD
512mb Ram DDR400
256 Nividia geforceFX
80Gb HD
DVDRW etc

...i can enquire further should anyone need further details! Thx

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

This could be any number of things, the first thing to try would be another psu (power supply) if you have one.

The psu could also be tested if you have a digital volt meter I could explain how to test it.

Rick

Overdrive_1

Overdrive_1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I do have another PSU handy, rather old however. Would this matter just to test?
I understand there are different types of connections..obviously this would matter... :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If the extra psu is 350 watts or better it should be ok just to test and see if the computer will boot but I would not run it very long if its that old

Overdrive_1

Overdrive_1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thx Doby!
sry for the late update...it was the PSU, the 450watt one he had is toast. Reading some of your replies and recommendations to others, we shall aim to get a better brand one with ample watts.

thanks for the help

overdrive | leigh