Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maxtor 80GB Prime/Slave Fail.

• Please log in to reply

Dokkur

Dokkur

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, my friend recently sent me a Maxtor 80GB IDE 7200 RPM HD, after plugging it in with the jumper set to cable select (while my primary Maxtor 15GB was set to Master) and more than likely I had the cables correct seeing as how my Windows still booted and the HD was detected.. Anyhow it needed to be formatted so I told windows to hit it with defaut NTFS and after about 15/20min. it failed with a could not complete error, so I hit it again with a 512 NTFS and after about 4 hours it did it to me again. After that I had a tiney error of some sort and reset BIOS to defaults and then it gave me a primary master fail error so after a day of messing around I figured the only way to boot up with both drives in there was to turn off the "boot other" in bios and here I am... hm.. I tried every version of PowerMax I could, and the other thingy they have, the ultimate boot disk.. and.. a bios update?.. Feel free to toss seemingly random idea's at me, my brain is toasted.

Win XP
Award BIOS 6PG
K7T Turbo 2 (latest BIOS)
Athlon XP 2600+ (MSI Lies new bios doesn't even know what a 2600+ is)
Geforce 2 MX/400
Yeh.. 80GB is my god..

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If the primary is set to master the secondary should be set to slave not CS, so try that to see if its any help

Rick

Dokkur

Dokkur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thats a no go, i've even tried the hd limiting setting, but thx.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you tried just the new 80gig. I had the same problem with HD i had been using for years of the same size. At first when i looked at all was fine it was running hotter than usual but nothing that bad. So i reinstalled windows reformatted worked fine for a while and then started to get lots of errors so i did another format the exact same thing happened to me as is happening with you. So 80gb HDs are cheap as chips so i bought another. When i went to install it my HD was leeking fluid! i was shocked to say the least i hadnt noticed before because the HD was in a rubber enclosure so i would give the HD a thourogh looking over and check it for abnormal heat.