Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Driving me crazy! :-(

• Please log in to reply

oldmantaggie

oldmantaggie

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
This is getting frustrating...

I have been looking at ddr and ddr2 (with a new mobo, but not the point right now).

the timing on the ddr i was looking at is 2-2-2-5 with a latency of 2

the ddr2 all have latencies of 4 and 5 and timings not to go below 3-2-3-8 with a latency of 3. (a lot more expensive too)

Now, please correct me if i am wrong, but dont you want lower numbers? how is the ddr2 faster, is it all in the mobo?

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Generally speaking DDR is for intel CPU's only. I posted something this morning in response to a question on another board this morning and am going to paste part of my response below. I'm a big-time AMD advocate and don't have a lot of first hand experience with DDR2 so can't give you any detailed information. As manufacturers tool up for DDR2, it is expected that the price differential will close rapidly and DDR2 pricing is expected to drop significantly. Now for the paste re: a few comments - Q&A's regarding DDR2

Q: Which available chipsets support DDR2 memory?
As of July 1, 2004, Intel has released the 915 and 925 chipsets supporting dualchannel DDR2 (400 MHz and 533 MHz only) as well as the E7525 workstation chipset supporting dual-channel DDR2-400 memory.
Q: What is the difference between the Intel 915 and 925 chipsets?
The 915 chipset, code-named Grantsdale, is the mainstream desktop chipset while the 925 chipset, code-named Alderwood, is for performance desktops. The 915/925 chipsets are positioned in a similar way to the older 865/875 DDR chipsets.
Q: Does the Intel 915 chipset support DDR or DDR2?
It supports both.
Q: What latencies will standard DDR2 DIMMs support?
JEDEC DDR2 specifications define standard DDR2 CAS Latencies of 3, 4, and 5:
– 400 MHz DDR2: CAS 3 (3-3-3)
– 533 MHz DDR2: CAS 4 (4-4-4)
– 667 MHz DDR2: CAS 5 (5-5-5)
Q: Will there be platforms supporting DDR2 memory with AMD processors?
No. AMD has publicly said that it will not support DDR2 until possibly 2005. Because AMD’s processors incorporate DDR memory controllers (inside the processor), DDR2 memory support cannot be added by chipset manufacturers such as VIA or SiS. Only AMD can change the memory technology supported by its processors.

915 Chipset
DDR or DDR2
memory support
DDR2: 400/533 MHz

925 Chipset
DDR2 memory only
DDR2: 400/533 MHz

Regards,
:tazz:

oldmantaggie

oldmantaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The intel website does not say that my 915GAV board supports DDR2, only DDR 400 Mhz

Memory
Four DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets
Support for DDR 400 MHz and DDR 333 MHz DIMMs
Support for up to 4 GB of system memory
Chipset Intel® 915G Chipset

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Memory is complicated for a good description in one of the pinned topics there is an bit of a overclocking/memory guide go to the forum it came from and there is a big guide to all things memory.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
oldmantaggie:

I was only trying to give you a little information. It was pretty much understood that you had or required regular 184 pin DDR. Now, I think you are confusing the issue a bit - or at least your last post is confusing me re: your understanding. Perhaps if you re-read your question prior to my last post then my last post will make more sense. DDR & DDR2 are definately not interchangeable.

Regards
:tazz:

Did you ever check out Adrian's RoJakPot?