Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM problems

• Please log in to reply

save toby

save toby

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Howdy,
Im running a micro express notebook, P4 3.0 ghz, 512mb RAM, radeon mobile 9600. Its ran fine for the past year, but all of a sudden I get freezes and restarts when playing games or running many programs at the same time. This was strange since its handled large workloads very well. I formatted the HD, reinstalled windows, installed all software, then about a week later it is doing the samething with a twist. Now I sometimes get a IRQL_not_less_than_or_equal, then that will lead to a bootup with a system32 file missing. After I leave it off for a few minutes it will come back up fine. It doesnt go that far all the time, normally it just freezes in a game then the screen blacks out (no blue screen of death..). Talked to tech support (not alot of help) and they said it could be a virus that isnt releasing usable RAM, so I ran AVG and ewido but didnt find much. Im wondering if this is just bad RAM or is there something else I can do before I send it back to manufacture for new RAM (still under warranty). Thanks for the help!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You can run a test on your memory. Go here and get memtest86. http://www.memtest.org/. Let it run at least three passes. Randon reboots are usually caused by heat, memory, driver issues or the power supply. Check each issue carefully to rule it out. To get a clue what windows may think the problem is, go to the event viewer. Go to my computer, right click manage, and view it. Look for events with a red x at the time of the event. To view detail, right click properties and view. You can also send a report to M$ and view their knowledge base for possible solutions.

save toby

save toby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hmmm,
tired memtest w/ a CD but couldnt get it to work. I also couldnt get into the BIOS to make sure it was reading the CD before the harddrive for bootup.... is this another problem?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Usually access to the bios is by pressing the delete key during the boot up process. Check your motherboard manual or system manual to make sure.