Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer has stopped detecting CDRW Drive

• Please log in to reply

Agentwillmore

Agentwillmore

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Heya Guys! I have a BIG problem with my Computer right now, so heres the Sich: I recently dusted the hardware componants on my computer as i was concerned about the amount of dust settled over everything in my base unit, and have also recently had the Alcra Worm virus, which i succesfully found and removed. This virus stopped cmd.exe, regedit.exe, netstat and tracert from working aswell as triggering my LimeWire application to open on start up. Although after removing the virus everything HAS indeed returned to normal, Limewire has stopped opening, and the formentioned exe's and commands are all working fully again so i am fairly confident the virus is gone. But then it was last night that i noticed my BENQ ATAPI Seamless Link 52X32X52 CDRW is no longer appearing in my Device Manager, the My Computer Screen, Nero, Windows Media Player etc etc, as a matter of fact, As far as my computer is concerned it does'nt even EXIST! Although it DOES have power, as the Tray opens and closes when i push the button, the green LED lights up when i have a CD in it, and i can here the drive load it, it's just stopped appearing as a device anywere on Windows. I have already tried checking the Power Input going to my CDRW Drive, to make sure it is was plugged back in properly after i cleaned it, i'v even checked the IDE cable connecting the CDRW drive to my motherboard to ensure that is connected properly, i EVEN tried connecting the CDRW Drive to the Mother board with a brand NEW IDE Cable, but still, it does'nt appear! No drivers are required for the device, as when i first purchased it, it worked completly FINE up until just now and even tells me it does'nt need drivers in the devices intruction manual. I also tried re-fitting my old CDROM Drive which i used before purchasing the CDRW which has always worked perfectly but was replaced by the CDRW Drive and THAT does'nt register either! ANY ideas at all what the problem could be...? Because i am ALL out of ideas myself... :tazz: So please please please, if ANY of you guys have any suggestions post them in this thread, i would REALLY appreciate it...
Agentwillmore

Edited by Agentwillmore, 01 July 2005 - 06:12 AM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to GTG, try this CDGONE Patch.

Agentwillmore

Agentwillmore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ahhh. Thank You, but since it took a few hours for anyone to reply to me in this thread with a little persiverence i read up another way of fixing my CDRW problem by just swapping the IDE Port my CDRW goes to on my motherboard with the IDE port my Hard Disk connects to and with a little BIOS re-configuring Au-La! : My CDRw Drive was back again! But thank you for the link to that CDGONE Patch, i am sure it may have fixed my problem without me needing to do anything else and just incase it happens again, i have kept that link safe! :tazz:

So Thanks!

Agentwillmore