Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro explorer.exe problem

• Please log in to reply

Bonkers

Bonkers

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

As you can tell I'm v new here. I've had a look at many of the posts here to see if I can find a solution to the problem I have. There are many similar, but none the same.

First the background. I use XP Pro and thought it was fairly well safeguarded against nasties, however, somehow, a trojan managed to find a way in. I ran AVG and removed the offending virus (i think).

Since then, whenever I boot up the pc, as soon as the desktop loads I get a message stating there is a problem with explorer.exe and asks if I want to send a report. I click 'don't send, the desktop refreshes and the same window pops up again....and again.....and again.

Also, the background has gone blue with an error stating there is a problem with explorer.exe on it. All background display properties have disappeared too.

Occasionally, if I drag the error msg to the bottom of the screen I can sometime open windows explorer and can see all my files, apps, etc and can open and use some of them. However, I can't move files from one disk to another. Also, if I try to minimise anything, an image of it remains on the screen and eventually everything freezes up. If I close and restart explorer.exe from the task manager, the refresh is ok but the msg appears again and the same problems as above continue, until again, everything freezes. Sometimes I can get IE or Mozilla to start, sometimes not. I tried to download spybot but when I try and choose as directory to save to, it stops and won't continue.

I have heard of many ways to try and fix this, such as boot into dos and replace explorer.exe (with a copy on the same level) from another pc. However, before I cause any more damage to the pc, I thought I'd ask the experts!!!

Your assistance with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Bonkers, 01 July 2005 - 05:08 AM.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
well you were right about copying the explorer.exe from another PC to the same location, or you can run "sfc /scannow" from the command prompt, but first make sure you have your XP cd in your CD-ROM.
try copying the explorer.exe first as the other method could take a while checking all your system files. if copying didn't work then you can use the sfc method.

hope that helps.

Bonkers

Bonkers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for that, samiko. :tazz:

Do you know if the replacement explorer.exe file would just need to be for Win XP Pro SP2, or does it need to be from a pc/disk with exactly the same hotfixes, etc?

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
I would copy it from a machine with similar serivce packs.