Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer uses huge amount of memory

• Please log in to reply

Frylock

Frylock

• Pip
  • 8 posts
According to my "Task Manager" Processes tab, my explorer.exe is using 77% of my 1GB of memory. This is a fairly recent development after having to fight a war two weeks ago removing Antivirus Gold (successfully I hope). I have run "Cleanup" and restarted Windows, but still no relief from the explorer memory suck.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
i mean usually explorer.exe takes a large amount of your resources because it brings everything together. It depends what applications you have running as well and how much interactions they have with your GUI.
close anything that you don't use on your task bar. even using a high resolution background could effect it plus all the visual effects and add-ons added to win xp.
lots of the above factors and many more could have that effect on your explorer.exe and its size.

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
YUPS some time too much plugins and spy's make it suck

Frylock

Frylock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No, that's not it. I'm pretty much a stickler for keeping the taskbar free of memory sucking items. The only things on the bar are Norton Antivirus, soundmax, and an
ATI desktop monitor thingy I don't know how to disable without screwing up my monitor.

The history of this PC is to run 98, 99% System Idle process unless a process is being booted up or if a web process is hung up (ergo, run Windows Task Mgr, find guilty party and shut it down). Therefore, the guilty party is now an internal program I can't do without, and 700Megs of memory is WAYY over what this puppy needs.

No plugins or spys that I know about.

Would a Hijack This log do any good here?