Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Battlefield 2 crashing

• Please log in to reply

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
[/QUOTE] Hey Guys, Here's the easy fix. Battlefield 2 is NOT compatible with Windows service pack 2. EA Games even say this and that they are working on the problem.
[QUOTE]

After looking at ea's site I could not find any mention that BF2 had any issues with service pack 2 at all.

Advertisements

TheReason

TheReason

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yea after uninstalling the service pack i noticed that my sound was pretty messed up so i went back to my restore point before the uninstallation. Gonna reinstall the game now and wait

jamie72

jamie72

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Hey Guys, Here's the easy fix. Battlefield 2 is NOT compatible with Windows service pack 2. EA Games even say this and that they are working on the problem.

I had troubles crashing soon after starting to play, I was pulling my hair out. Spent the whole day trying everything I could think of.

UNINSTALL SERVICE PACK 2 Go to control panel, Add/Remove software and remove. Restart your computer and Bobs your uncle problem solved. :thumbsup:

View Post

I haven't looked at the their web site but I play it fine with windows xp sp2. if u want to play it without sp2 and and still want sp2 I suggest u resize your c: drive partition and make a new partition and install xp sp1 just fore gaming (dual boot>

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

I  haven't  looked  at  the  their  web  site  but  I  play  it  fine  with  windows xp  sp2. if  u  want  to  play  it  without  sp2  and  and  still  want  sp2  I  suggest  u  resize  your  c:  drive  partition  and  make  a  new  partition  and  install  xp  sp1  just  fore  gaming (dual boot>

View Post

Well, thats your opinion. As a hardcore gamer most issues are not related to the os. most issues are related to configuration issues, hardware, and the games themselves. SP2 has been out long enough for all the new games not to have any issues with it. Older games, maybe.

jamie72

jamie72

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

yea after uninstalling the service pack i noticed that my sound was pretty messed up so i went back to my restore point before the uninstallation.  Gonna reinstall the game now and wait

View Post

im playing bf2 with sp2 installed fine I have windows services that aren't needed fore gaming shutdown I create a hardware profile and when I start up my computer it asks me what profile I want to boot in my gaming profile it only loads the background services it needs fore playing games if u are interested I can help u just let me now. I will send u a word dock with how to do this.

jamie72

jamie72

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Well, thats your opinion.  As a hardcore gamer most issues are not related to the os.  most issues are related to configuration issues, hardware, and the games themselves.  SP2 has been out long enough for all the new games not to have any issues with it.  Older games, maybe.

View Post

no I do play it on the windows sp2 I was only suggesting a fix I agree with u my game runs fine except I had to get a 500w power supply fore my hungry gigabyte 3d1 bundle deal build its a power junky!!!!!!!!!

PizzaGuy

PizzaGuy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

I've updated my video and sound drivers and turned the sound acceleration to basic in dxdiag

whenever i play Battlefield 2 for a couple of minutes the game crashes and sends me back to the desktop

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1024MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
Card name: C.P. Technologies Inc. RADEON  X300SE
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
        Chip type: RADEON X300 SE (0x5B60)
Display Memory: 128.0 MB

View Post

im not sure if its a metter of which video card u got ( i mean ati or nvidia)
i had some crashes with this game too, overall , it has many problems , for instance, the loadings...

p[e]ntium^

p[e]ntium^

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there everyone I was looking through google for this problem and it bought up this forum and it looks as though you guys/girls can help me PLEASE! ;)

Problem:
I have lost count how many times I have installed this game but anywho this is the problem:

> I d/led the patch and installed it when it came out
> Saw people had troubles with it so re-installed BF2
> Joined servers and it crashes after 46%
> Manually uninstalled the game then re-installed it. After doing so, and not installing the patch what so ever I am getting "Windows is running out of virtual memory" (memory leak). I find this difficult to understand as I have installed the game how when I first bought it.
> When I install the patch I cannot log into other servers.
> I started my own LAN and played around there but was getting memory leaks. I followed your instructions of manually uninstalling the game but it hasn't worked. I get a memory leak.

Any suggestions? :tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, when the patch is applied many, many things break when trying to run the server. however, the client side seems to be ok.

now if you are unpatched try and join this server: IP-209.40.96.122:16567

if you get an error let me know what it is.

you say you have a memory leak. what specific errors or behavior is it doing?

Louderdb

Louderdb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Do any of you not see the stupidity in all this? The freaking demo plays better than the full version? There's some irony for you! Then you spend the 50 bucks (US) for the full version and it's full of BUGS! Not a few easy fixes! You guys are talking uninstalling operating system service packs and crap! I'm thinking I want my money back! At least until EA can get their crap together!

Advertisements

jamie72

jamie72

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Do any of you not see the stupidity in all this? The freaking demo plays better than the full version? There's some irony for you! Then you spend the 50 bucks (US) for the full version and it's full of BUGS! Not a few easy fixes! You guys are talking uninstalling operating system service packs and crap! I'm thinking I want my money back! At least until EA can get their crap together!

View Post

no its good and it is stable its just a demanding sod ive got 2 systems ok that run it without much drama unless I try to pump the graphics up to high hear are the system specs system 1 amd 64 3000+ 939 / gigabyte 8knsc motherboard 2X 256 meg ram ddr400 duel channel /NVIDIA 6600gt with 128 ddr3 onboard with a thermaltake monster2 cooler/ cobra soundcard/120 gig Seagate sata h/d xpsp2 configured fore gaming 400w raidmax p/s system2 amd64 3200+ 939 gigabyte ga8knxp-sli / 2Xapacer 512 ddr400 duel channel ram/ gigabyte 3d1 sli 256 ddr3 videocard with 2X6600gt gpu s/ gigabyte duel power unit 500w antic p/s xp sp2 set up for gaming. theas systems are running the game system2 runes it at high settings but it needs another 1 gig of ram and a sata2 hard drive to stop the page file problems when pushed beyond high settings at 1280/960 75 MHz.

olddocks

olddocks

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The same problem i had, it goes to black screen and sends me to desktop. You must find out what exactly is causing this problem before troubleshooting it. here i found some important piece of advice on how to find a problem: http://www.gamecrashes.com/4-22-15.htm

The dump file from my documents never worked for me

test

test

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Guys, I have the fix for your BF2 crashing.

I had two major issues when I installed the game.

1) One was that it would CRASH right after it loaded the splash screen, and you're back to the desktop.

Cause: BF2 doesn't like all CDROM/CDRW drives. Especially if you have flashed it to be multiregional.
Solution: run a no cd mini-image that imitates your cd copy in a virtual drive.

2) Second problem was that BF2 was only playable for 4 minutes, after which you crash and return back to the desktop or worse, the computer crashes!

Cause: This is caused by having an AMD mobo with Dual Channel memory. I don't know why but I replaced my ATI card with an nVidia 6800GT. Since than I have similar lockups with Counterstrike and FarCry.
Solution: Set your memory to Single Channel.

I'll tell, I have been readying a ton of forums with no one having a fix other than telling people to reinstall and reformat your HD. That is all [bleep].

If you have the above problems try my trick and I promise you, you'll be playing all night long just to catch up on all your mistireous crashes you've been having for days.

Oh by the way, I have tried all the version of drivers (omega, nvidia 6x, 7x, all of them).

Play hard when you get it fixed!

jamie72

jamie72

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Guys, I have the fix for your BF2 crashing.

I had two major issues when I installed the game. 

1) One was that it would CRASH right after it loaded the splash screen, and you're back to the desktop.

Cause: BF2 doesn't like all CDROM/CDRW drives.  Especially if you have flashed it to be multiregional.
Solution: run a no cd mini-image that imitates your cd copy in  a virtual drive.

2) Second problem was that BF2 was only playable for 4 minutes, after which you crash and return back to the desktop or worse, the computer crashes!

Cause: This is caused by having an AMD mobo with Dual Channel memory.  I don't know why but I replaced my ATI card with an nVidia 6800GT.  Since than I have similar lockups with Counterstrike and FarCry.
Solution: Set your memory to Single Channel.
I'll tell, I have been readying a ton of forums with no one having a fix other than telling people to reinstall and reformat your HD.  That is all [bleep]. 

If you have the above problems try my trick and I promise you, you'll be playing all night long just to catch up on all your mistireous crashes you've been having for days.

Oh by the way, I have tried all the version of drivers (omega, nvidia 6x, 7x, all of them).

Play hard when you get it fixed!

View Post

im using bf2 on 2 amd systems with gigabyte motherboards using duel channel memory gigabyte k8nxp-sli and a k8nsc motherboards and I have never crashed back to the desktop im not trying to start a argument im just imputing more info im going to say make sure your not overcloking and find yourself a copy of hot cpu tester and check all your system components 5 times out of 10 its hardware , games will stress system parts if theirs a small fault with the bus or chip it will result in instability in a system . I run my bf2 game from a mds file loaded into a alcohol 120% clone drive but I must stress u will need alcohol 120% expert install and change the name of the clone scsi controller otherwise a amd64 system will crash and the other reason is bf2 will detect the clone scsi controller and will not load the game....... the people with the memory leaks make sure u have patch 1.2 1.1 has a memory leak and note this game uses looooots of memory runs smooth on 2 gig tho

Edited by jamie72, 06 August 2005 - 07:26 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A fresh install of windows is the easiest way to fix most games probs, alot of games problems are caused by other programs or changes in your system that you pick up. There wouldnt be sp2 compatiblity issues because the game was designed and tested on systems using wondows xp sp2. And the same thing applies with the dual channel amd crap, it was tested with amd and intel cpus pretty much half and half as far as i know so they would have realised something wrong at that stage. It is a high end game though and it is brand new and everybody who has had there system for more then a couple of weeks has a unique system in terms of software and the way hardware has burned in. So one fix wont work for everyone, you just have to try them all and maybe one will work or you will fix it yourself or EA will in there first really big patch after the game has been out for a bit longer.