Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how about this for a kick*** gaming system

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Intel Pentium M 1.6Ghz
Aopen i915GMm-HFS
Muskin PC4200 DDR2
Sapphire ATI Radeon X800XL
Maxtor 200GB S-ATA HDD Drive
Philips DVD-/+RW DVDR1625K
Aspire X-QPack M/atx SFF Case
Cooler Master Aquagate Mini R120
Artic silencer

Topic title edited by admin

Edited by admin, 01 July 2005 - 12:39 PM.

Advertisements

QzXx

QzXx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Seems okay... Not too sure about that Processor.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
that processor is barely over minimum spec for the newer games- most of them need at least a 1.5GHz pentium.
Im also not sure DDR2 would work with that cpu. cpu's can have maximum fsb speeds, and all but the newest chips will max out at 800Mhz. so you would be spending money on faster ram that wont be able to run at its best speed.

if you want to keep a decent budget, I would suggest a 3.2 Ghz or better P4 (with HT), 2x 512 sticks of quality PC3200 ram. I havent checked prices in a couple weeks, but you should easily be able to get that and a good mobo for $350 or less.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Eww Intel... JK. But yeah, that is not a very good processor, it will definately show serious in game slowdown on any recent title.

As audioboy said, that is the bare minimum.

I really would reccomend you look into an AMD 64 3000+ or higher processor. They out perform Intel, especially in gaming, and tend to run cheaper.

But that's depending on what parts you already have and their compatibility. Otherwise go with audioboys suggestion.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah the pentium Ms are better than youre average intel but it wont be until there next generation of pentium Ms that they could posibly rival the AMD 64s for gaming. Also the aquagate mini watercooling kits get some really bad reviews especially when compared to other kits at the same price: check out the cooler river deluxe: also this months custom pc has done a whole big bit on water cooling.
And the connect3d version of that card is a little cheaper and overclocks better from what ive read they had it on ebuyer for a good price.

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
i like it, the processor seems a bit slow for gaming though, for intel at least a 2.0Ghz, dunno if u can get a pentium m 2.0 but other than that, it's a good build

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Think thats anything? Look at my $11,000 dream machine...

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Processor Extreme Edition with HT Technology 3.73Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 2MB Cashe

Motherboard: nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition Chipset Motherboard PCI Express SLI

Memory: 4GB Dual Channal PC6200 DDR2 SDRAM at 800Mhz.

Graphics Card: Two NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX PCI Express 256MB DDR3 with NVIDIA SLI Technology

Hard Drive: Two 800GB Serial ATA Raid 0 7,200RPM with 16MB Cashe

Cd-rom/DVD-rom drive: NEC 16x Dual Layer DVD+-R/W Drive

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro High Definition 7.1 Surround Sound with Dual Firewire.

Power Supply: PC Power 510 Watt Power Supply

Monitor: NEC 30" LCD 3000 Black

Speakers: Creative GigaWorks THX S750 7.1 700-Watt Speakers

And Much more... *drool*

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not much drool to that i actually think i have cotton mouth now.
Intel oh dear(AMD). Creative speakers oh my(Bang and olifson) 510W and you think thats big enough( 600W modular ultra x) Two 7200rpms (100rpm 134 raptors) and no dvd burner if it is a dream machine maybe you should get some better dreams. 11000 for that realy isnt worth it for a pc that can make up its mind wether its a gaming beast or a mulitmedia workstation.

When you dream think BIG FX-59s r550 core ati triple 4ms 19" monitors bang and olifson room adapting sound system , raptors and cheatah HDS in lian li custom designed case.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

Not much drool to that

:tazz: ;) ;) :help: :help: :help: :yeah: :yeah: :tazz: :beer: :beer: ;) ;)

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
No DROOL! Gees... For 11000 you could buy a three times better and faster system.

-Stupid Intel. (and it's slow! lol 3.73 ghz)
-LOL funny. Why you cheap out on a soundcard?
-DUMB choice on the speakers. ALTEC LANSING ownage!

Well... You might like your system, but it cant be more than €5000 And that's like 6000 bucks.

Emery

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
To warriorscot

Creative speakers oh my

700watts man! Creative is best brand for ANYTHING sound related!

510W and you think thats big enough

Comes with an external 1300W that I didn't mention.

Two 7200rpms (100rpm 134 raptors

WOW!!! 100rpm! Thats fast! Lol, I know you meant 10000rpm, and yes I did go back and forth between the HDs I chose and the ones you speak of. I decided on mine because I need the HD space. But I guess I could have one Raptor and have my 800GB as a slave.

no dvd burner

NEC 16x Dual Layer DVD+-R/W Drive

Maybe learn to read? :tazz:

19" monitors

Why would I want a 19" monitor when my dream machine has a 30" monitor?

custom designed case.

It does come with a custom designed case, as well as many other things I didnt mention... (like SUBZERO cooling)

To SAAB

Stupid Intel. (and it's slow! lol 3.73 ghz)

Find a stupid AMD thats faster than 3Ghz! Good luck! The fastest Intel makes is 3.8Ghz, so this is pretty close. And it's Extreme Edition which means it is a step up from Pentium 4. And it has a 1066Mhz FSB! AMDs have like 400Mhz FSBs!

LOL funny. Why you cheap out on a soundcard?

Cheap out? This is like a $500 soundcard. The best Creative makes. And we all know Creative makes the best soundcards.

-DUMB choice on the speakers. ALTEC LANSING ownage!

Read what I wrote to warriorscot about the speakers.

These are just MY opinions. Don't come back and yell at me because I think differently than you. I would be more than happy to hear your opinions though!

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
AMD makes a 16Ghz processor and it's just a little over €12000. It has a FSB at 4264 MHz.

Emery

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
if u have sub-zero cooling why not overlock the intel's 3.8 to 5ghz?

Edited by humorsavesmysoul, 05 July 2005 - 09:24 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah and performance wise AMD are the best for most things clock speed doesnt tell you how powerful a cpu is, creative dont make the best speakers they make the best budget speakers eg anything below 2500 quid for a dream madhine you should spend 11000 just on speakers. You can also get 15000 rpms too. I jst read dvd/cdrom. 30 inch monitor has 4 times more response time and the same res hardly desirable the best you can buy is viewsonic 4ms or the sony xblack range. Oh you get more exppensive sound cards and better ones if you wanna fork out the cash for the THX and Dolby engineered ones they even send a sound engineer to fit it for you.

That intel processor got wupped by the AMDs in the reviews ive read was a pretty laughable effort considering it costs more than the most powerful consumer AMD and isnt as fast.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
To SAAB

AMD makes a 16Ghz processor and it's just a little over €12000. It has a FSB at 4264 MHz.

I'd like to see a link to it.

To humorsavesmysoul

if u have sub-zero cooling why not overlock the intel's 3.8 to 5ghz?

First off, its only 3.73Ghz and who said I wasn't going to overclock it?

To warriorscot

you should spend 11000 just on speakers

For my room size, the Creative speakers would be more than adequate.

You can also get 15000 rpms too

I would like to see a link.

30 inch monitor has 4 times more response time and the same res hardly desirable the best you can buy is viewsonic 4ms or the sony xblack range

Can I have a link to the 4ms monitor (none of this is because I don't believe you, but because I would like to buy it!)

the THX and Dolby engineered ones

See here As you will see, this card is both THX and Dolby engineered...

That intel processor

I would like to see a link to a review in which my EXACT processor was "wupped" by an AMD. Just because the high-end AMDs can best the low-end Intels doesnt mean AMD is better.