Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my graphics card

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
2 512 megs is cheaper, since you are a fellow brit i can tell you for sure kingston isnt a good buy it is expensive over here compared to ocz, and corsair is bloody cheap here. I got 1gig of pc 3200 c2 for 81 quid. and the value stuff from gell or corsair can be got for 50 quid.

overclockers.co.uk and ebuyer are the cheapest on RAM of all the websites overclockers has the best selection and the easiest to use website, so find what you want on overclockers and see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere but they are cheaper alot of the time also in AGP gfx cards they have a deal on for a xfx 6800GT this week.

Advertisements

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
jus go to ebuyer and get some there own brand ram its great and cheap ive got 256mb of it in my pc and its stable at 267mhz
for the gcard i would get a ati x800xl it only £50 more than a 6600gt yet as fast as 6800gt its £230 on ebuyer

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I got my x800xl off ebuyer for 190 quid the same as the 256meg version of the 6600GT.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the sisoft sandra program warrior mentioned might tell you, and the everest home program I mentioned might tell you. otherwise you gotta crack the case. make sure you turn PC off if you gotta go poking around in there.

and yes, if you have some really cheap ram, it would be better to get to new sticks. tell us what you have now, and we can advise better.
Im not sure what sony uses normally, but I would hope its not something terrible.

twister3634

twister3634

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
im just curious does this guy have an AGP slot or PCI-E slot. Cause If He Is Gunna Get The 6800 ultra.. he needs a PCI-E slot.. by the way 7800 is SOO Fast I Cant WaIt For MY SLI I RECOMMEND TO AL SERIOUS GAMERS

Edited by twister3634, 06 July 2005 - 03:16 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont need an AGP for a 6800Ultra dont know why you would think that they are plenty of them around to buy.
Sli is goin down,Crossfire is gonna be doin some serious whuppin im gonna get crossfire for my next pc, nvidia are going to have to come up with something really special not only to beat ATi but if they want to continue with the relative succes they have now. ATI has pumped alot more cash and attention into R&D and there "not until its ready" approach is really going to pay off. I cant believe anyone would fork out such a ridiculus amounts of money for a 7800SLi rig when Ati are about to launch there own next gen solutions the top of which to be released sometime this year will have 42 pipes apparently. It will be a thoroughbred original next gen rather than a redesign.

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
On a similar note to seegon's questions, what kind of increases would I gain if I upgraded:
1. RAM to 2G PC3200?
2. CPU to 3.2 P4?
Also, what kind of changes could I expect if I paired these upgrades with:
3. graphics to 6800 GT AGP?
(obviously, I would need to upgrade PSU to 450w or more to accomodate 2 or 3).
Do you think the performance would justify the $600 or so bucks this would run me?
Thanks.
JB

xxjunkyxx

xxjunkyxx

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
hmmm, u sure have better things than me

Edited by xxjunkyxx, 16 July 2005 - 10:18 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It would be a fairly large inprovement.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
it would be a large improvement yes, but you need to be careful. you listed the mobo as propietary- and the whole system is a vaio. I dont know if upgrades are possible on that system, you would need to check with sony.

also, with the upgrades your talking about there, thats practically the whole system. essentially you would keep the case, drives, and mobo if it would take a new cpu...
might consider just building a new system at that point!

Advertisements

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
;) I did take that under advise- the whole sony proprietary thing but decided to try upgrading anyway. I now have 2 G PC3200 ram, and a PNY 6600 GT graphics card. Everything worked fine for a while.
Then one day, I go to start the computer up, and I get 2-3 quick beeps followed by 5 or 6 beeps, my monitor dialogue box reads no input; going to powersave mode, and the monitor shuts down. The computer is still hummin along, I can eject drives, all fans are going, etc. I conjecture to myself that I have just about maxed out my luck on running the system with a 300w PSU. So I went out and purchased an ANTEC Trueblue 480W PSU. Here's my question for y'all: how come the computer will work with
1. the old PSU, or
2. the new ANTEC PSU, BUT ONLY IF IT IS NOT IN THE CASE!!!

if I put the antec in the case, and hook all my wires up just like when I had the ANTEC outside of my case, I get 3 beeps followed by 6 beeps.
What gives? Why should in or outside of the case make a difference? :tazz:
Also, what do the beeps mean?
And finally, the ANTEC is different from the stock PSU. The stock psu has no exterior power switch, unlike the ANTEC. When I use the antec in the case (well, half in the case- it doesn't quite fit into the case, and hangs out of the back 2 or 3 inches- the second I hit the PSU power switch, the computer starts to boot up adn then goes to the beeps. Why does the new PSU bypass the power button on the front of the computer? and could that be part of the problem.
The only other question I have is that I noticed that the stock PSU fan monitor wire has 3 strands (blue, white, black) while the ANTEC fan monitor lead has onl 2 strands (blue, black). Could this make the difference, and what do those wires do per se?
Thanks y'all/

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
well i got 1 gig (2x512mb) ddr ram for £67 off kingston an its doin fine for me!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The old PSU would have been a bog standard ATX eg without switch quality newer psus have the switch but it is a extra you should have it on all the time.

Get system detection software: cpu-z sis, sandra, everest etc. and find out what mobo you have go to the manufacturers website download the manual and find out what beep code error the beeps on your system correspond too.