Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Tommi

Tommi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, it's me again. This time with a serious problem with laptop number two.

Fujitsu-seimens Amilo M1405b... 0.98 GIG RAM, Pentuim M 735 1.7, 40 GIG hard drive. (2004 model, running windows xp home edition 2002)

I've had lots of problems when i try to open files in 'my pictures'
some files (jpegs) open, but I have had error messages.

I've had doctor watson errors aswell when i try to open files in my pictures.

explorer.exe application error

the instruction at 0x7c80a728 referenced memory at 0x005c0073 the memory could not be 'read'

When I'm using photoshop, it crashes when i try to save/or open some files.
This has become a nightmare, so i have uninstalled everything. deleted all my files (i have backup)
So I defraged the disk (using the windows defrag prog)

here is the report

volume (c:)
Volume size = 37.25 GB
cluster size = 4 KB
used space = 4.30 GB
free space = 32.95 GB
Percent free space =88 %

Volume Fragmentation
Total Fragmentation = 0%
file fragmentation = 0%
freespace fragmentation = 0%

File fragmentation
total files =19,162
average file size =265 KB
total fragmented files =1
total excess fragments =15
average fragments per file =1.00

Pagefile fragmentation
pagefile size =1.48 GB
total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
total folders =1,343
fragmented folders =1
excess folder fragments =0

master file table (mtf) fragmentation
total mft size =36 MB
MFT record count = 20,528
percent MFT in use =55%
total mft fragments = 2

I'm sorry but this means nothing to me, Will i have to partion the drive to get around the problem? Thanks.

P.S Will a total reformat and partion help the problem, or is it new drive time. This is my first P.C (have used macs in the past and amegas 1200, 4000) so to be honest i'm at a loss what to do. I have installed two 512 Ram chips do you think they could be at fault?

when i go to system info it says Pentium M 1.7 GHz, 599 or various other numbers going up to 1.7 GHz then the amount of RAM ie 0.98 Gig
Is this because of the processor is on idle? But when i go to system info again the number sometimes jumps up to 1.7 GHz? This is puzzling me, is it because i have a Pentuim M inside?

Thanks for you time, I'll be waiting for some help....aaaahhh I miss my old 4000!

Edited by Tommi, 01 July 2005 - 03:03 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the fragmentation. You might want to check for viruses.

Tommi

Tommi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I,ve done a virus check nothing came up. My laptop is not connected to the web. But i have used files from the web, i use the big computer for downloading data (anti spy ware, firewall and Mc afee anti virus program etc) so i'm at a total loss!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
try running the disk utilities like scandisk. this will check the drive for problem areas, etc.

the pentium M will often turn off parts of the processor that arent in use, or slow itself down, to conserve on battery power and heat. that is likely what you are seeing with the processor speed changes.

I might also suggest you try running cleanup!. its freeware that is excellent for freeing space up, but also for getting rid of temp files and other hidden things that might cause some problems. go to the downloads page, and scroll down to the version 4.0 download section.

Novell

Novell

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I know you said that you don't connec to the internet but you might want to check your computer for spyware infection. Go to www.adaware.com and download their free spyware removal program.

You should also do a disk cleanup and chkdsk (scandisk) before you defrag your hard drive. It's also possible that your drive is going bad and this may be your warning to backup your data before you lose them.

Load windows in safe mode to see if you can access your pictures. While in safe mode, do the cleanup, chkdsk, & defrag.