Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No CD Found

• Please log in to reply

rakenz

rakenz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Sony Vaio laptop and one day I went to burn a music CD and my Windows Media Player said no CD was installed. I tried various different blank CDs to no avail.

Next I checked the device manager and it is coming up with no error messages and says the device is working properly. I went through the troubleshooting and it found no issues.

Is anyone aware of a XP security update or something that would effect the recognition of black CDs? DVDs and other software CDs run fine. This is really wierd.

Please help!
Thanks.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. What software are you using to burn your cd's? Nero? Roxio? It reads software cd's & dvds and the device manager shows it is working properly. I would suspect it is the software you are using to burn (or not using...Windows Media Player?)

rakenz

rakenz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
austin o,

I am using Windows Media Player. It also does not recognize a CDR in Real Player as well. Should I try something else?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I have never tried to burn a cd with Windows Media Player or Realplayer. I use Roxio or Sonic. There are other buring programs out there, like Nero. Maybe you need to try one of these?