Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alcan.c worm infection- please help [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bld213

bld213

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum - have just found that my PC has its first worm
(that I have known of) and despite trying I cannot get rid of it.

Earlier this week I noticed that my AV software - etrust - has spotted some
virus (trojan?) files in the folder my documents/complete. Although it
identified them, it would not kill or delete them, and all options to do so
are greyed out. All the files were .zip files.

I then found a similar set in the my documents/incomplete folder, which I
deleted immediately.

Having made hidden and system files visible, I have now deleted the files
from my documents/complete.

Etrust identified the worm as the alcan.c worm.

I read around and found some instructions for removing alcan.b and alcan.a,
so tried elements of tried those.

I found a number of the .com files associated with these in the
windows/system32 folder, and deleted them all.

Regedit would not run becuase of the regedit.com file, but once deleted ran
fine.

The fake taskmanager file in the system32 folder deletes fine, but respawns
immediately.

I can find no version of msconfigs or p2pnetwork type files anyway, or
references to these or winupdates using a search in the registry editor,

The PC seems to run OK most of the time, but a few strange events mean that
clearly I still have a problem, and I have no real idea about registry
editing or any other manual intervention.

I finally followed instructions in the guide before posting thread, in the
hope that posting the logs here will help provide a solution - from looking
at the other alcan threads the solutions look complicated - I hope my
half-hearted attempt to get rid of it has not made it worse - can anyone
help, and do I have a similar problem to alcan.a?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

The logs are below - I am running windows xp with sp2, and all latest
updates from windows update.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:36:06, on 02/07/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoRpc.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoRT.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoTask.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\CA_LIC\LogWatNT.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\carpserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\ASUS\WLAN Card Utilities\Center.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\gsicon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dslagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\BTBROA~2\SMARTB~1\BTHelpNotifier.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\realmon.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\iRiver\iHP100\iHPDetect.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\LaunchApplication.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\Services\SERVIC~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\DataLayer\DataLayer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\InstantCDDVD\InstantWrite\iwctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\PcSync2.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Nokia\MPAPI\MPAPI3s.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Brendan\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.alias-media.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.meshcomputers.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Tiscali Internet Access
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ptipbmf] rundll32.exe ptipbmf.dll,SetWriteCacheMode
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSDrvCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Control Center] C:\Program Files\ASUS\WLAN Card Utilities\Center.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GSICONEXE] gsicon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DSLAGENTEXE] dslagent.exe USB
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\BTBROA~2\SMARTB~1\BTHelpNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AntivirusRegistration] C:\Program Files\Excid.com Aps\eTrust Antivirus Registration\EzAntivirusRegistrationCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Realtime Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\realmon.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iHP-100] C:\Program Files\iRiver\iHP100\iHPDetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCSuiteTrayApplication] C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\LaunchApplication.exe -onlytray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DataLayer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\DataLayer\DataLayer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IW_Drop_Icon] C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\InstantCDDVD\InstantWrite\iwctrl.exe /dropdisc
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PcSync] C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\PcSync2.exe /NoDialog
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.meshcomputers.com
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1119989980437
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {C606BA60-AB76-48B6-96A7-2C4D5C386F70} (PreQualifier Class) - http://downloads.bro...tivePreQual.cab
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: CA License Client (CA_LIC_CLNT) - Computer Associates - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\CA_LIC\lic98rmt.exe
O23 - Service: CA License Server (CA_LIC_SRVR) - Computer Associates - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\CA_LIC\lic98rmtd.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: InCD File System Service (InCDsrv) - AHEAD Software - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: eTrust Antivirus RPC Server (InoRPC) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoRpc.exe
O23 - Service: eTrust Antivirus Realtime Server (InoRT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoRT.exe
O23 - Service: eTrust Antivirus Job Server (InoTask) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoTask.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Event Log Watch (LogWatch) - Computer Associates - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\CA_LIC\LogWatNT.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Advertisements

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
hi bld213 and welcome to gtg

You may wish to print out a copy of these instructions to follow while you complete this procedure.

Please save Hijack This in a permanent folder (i.e. C:\HJT). This ensures backups are saved and accessible.

Please go offline, close all browsers and any open Windows, making sure that only HijackThis is open. Scan and when it finishes, put an X in the boxes, only next to these following items, then click fix checked.

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.alias-media.com/

Reboot your PC.

If you would please, rescan with HijackThis and post a fresh log in this same topic, and let us know how your system's working. :tazz:

Alcan.c virus

Description
Win32.Alcan.C is a worm that spreads via peer-to-peer file sharing networks and drops a variant of Win32.Rbot and downloads a variant of Win32.WinAd onto an affected machine. It has been distributed as a 444,928-byte, PE-Spin packed Win32 executable.

Method of Infection

When executed, Win32.Alcan.C copies itself to %Program Files%\winupdate\winupdate.exe and also creates a copy of itself in c:\z.tmp.

The worm then modifies the registry to execute itself at each Windows start:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\winupdate = "\winupdate\winupdate.exe /auto"
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\winupdate = "\winupdate\winupdate.exe /auto"

In order to mask its presence, during this process, Alcan displays a fake install and error dialog:

http://www3.ca.com/s...lcanb_error.gif
The worm also creates the clean file %System%\bszip.dll which is used for ZIP compression.

Notes:
Note: '%System%' is a variable location. The malware determines the location of the current System folder by querying the operating system. The default installation location for the System directory for Windows 2000 and NT is C:\Winnt\System32; for 95,98 and ME is C:\Windows\System; and for XP is C:\Windows\System32.
%Program Files% is a variable location. The malware determines the location of the current Program Files folder by querying the operating system. A typical location for this folder would be C:\Program Files

Return to top

Method of Distribution
Via P2P File Sharing

The worm searches the local system for directories containing any of the following:

shared
res\My Shared Folder
eMule\Incoming
Kazaa\My Shared Folder
My Shared Folder
morpheus\My Shared Folder
grokster\my grokster
earshare\Shared
Limewire\Shared
donkey2000\Incoming
gnucleus\downloads
shareaza\downloads
rapigator\share

In order to collect filenames to copy itself to, the worm downloads a series of pages from the newcracks.net web site, and saves lists of filenames published there to c:\x.txt, or c:\z.txt. Using the file bszip.dll, the worm then creates a copy of itself in ZIP format as c:\temp.zip. It then proceeds to copy itself in zip form using the harvested filenames to directories matching the above criteria. The file inside the zip is called 'setup.exe'.

Return to top

Payload
Modifies System Settings

The worm creates the following files with the characteristics Hidden and System:

%System%\cmd.com
%System%\netstat.com
%System%\ping.com
%System%\regedit.com
%System%\taskkill.com
%System%\tasklist.com
%System%\taskmgr.exe
%System%\tracert.com

Because of the order in which files are executed in Windows, the above files are executed insead of the Windows executable files with the same names. The files themselves are not malicious but prevent execution via common shortcuts unless the file name is explicitly used. For example, typing 'regedit' will execute one of the above, whereas typing 'regedit.exe' will execute the real program.
Installs Additional Malware

Alcan.C drops a copy of Win32.Rbot.CQR to c:\xz.exe. Please see elsewhere in our encyclopedia for more information on Win32.Rbot.CQR.

It also downloads a copy of Win32.WinAd.T from the members.chello.nl domain to a.tmp and b.tmp in the root directory (usually C:\ ).

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
You might want to disable sytem restore

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

(Windows XP)
1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310405

and delete temp files

Please delete your temporary files by deleting all files and folders that are in those folders (do not delete the temp folder itself) like for example
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\
C:\Temp\
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\
Also delete your Temporary Internet Files, be sure to also select delete all offline content.

--Windows XP--

Please delete your temporary files. Double Click My Computer (WinXP: Navigate to Start --->My Computer)
You will see an icon representing your harddrive (most likely C: Drive) Right Click on the hard drive icon and click Properties at the
bottom of the fly out window. One the very first tab (General) you will see a button labeled "Disk Cleanup"...click that button.
Make sure the following are checked:
Downloaded Program Files
Temporary Internet Files and
Recycle Bin

Click OK and Disk Cleanup will delete those files for you.

bld213

bld213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the help.

System restore was already off (turned it off yesterday), so have turned back on.

I tried deleting temp files manually, but:

I do not have a

C:\Temp\

I assume only files with .tmp need deleting, not folder with for instance desktop.ini files? If so the only ones to delete in C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ ARE

JETCB3F.tmp
JETD5DE.tmp
ZLT00bcf.TMP

but I am told they are in use and cannot be deleted, any idea?

Ran disk cleanup as instructed, and those files are still present.

When I ran hijackthis against the 3 keys you listed, and rebooted, spybot seemed to note these changes, so I had to let it alow them - also, when spybot alearts pop up, the buttons do not appear correct, so cannot read the text on what I assume are allow or reject change buttons - I assume left hand button is allow?

System rebooted fine, but with the file taskmgr.exe still in windows\ystem32 I assume I am still trouble?

Anyway, here is the new log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 13:41:56, on 02/07/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.meshcomputers.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Tiscali Internet Access
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Control Center] C:\Program Files\ASUS\WLAN Card Utilities\Center.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\BTBROA~2\SMARTB~1\BTHelpNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AntivirusRegistration] C:\Program Files\Excid.com Aps\eTrust Antivirus Registration\EzAntivirusRegistrationCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCSuiteTrayApplication] C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\LaunchApplication.exe -onlytray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DataLayer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\DataLayer\DataLayer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IW_Drop_Icon] C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\InstantCDDVD\InstantWrite\iwctrl.exe /dropdisc
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1119989980437
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {C606BA60-AB76-48B6-96A7-2C4D5C386F70} (PreQualifier Class) - http://downloads.bro...tivePreQual.cab
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: CA License Client (CA_LIC_CLNT) - Computer Associates - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\CA_LIC\lic98rmt.exe
O23 - Service: CA License Server (CA_LIC_SRVR) - Computer Associates - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\CA_LIC\lic98rmtd.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: InCD File System Service (InCDsrv) - AHEAD Software - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: eTrust Antivirus RPC Server (InoRPC) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoRpc.exe
O23 - Service: eTrust Antivirus Realtime Server (InoRT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoRT.exe
O23 - Service: eTrust Antivirus Job Server (InoTask) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoTask.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Event Log Watch (LogWatch) - Computer Associates - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\CA_LIC\LogWatNT.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi There Bid213.

Please do not follow any of the advice given above. The person who has advised you is NOT authorised to work on HJT logs. The advice he has given is incorrect. Please post a new log and a qualified helper will assist you. If you are offered further advice by this person, please PM me or one of the Moderators/Admin staff. On behalf of G2G and its staff, I apologise.

UKBiker

bld213

bld213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks

The log I posted is still valid surely as it is up to date, or do you need another one?

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi There Bld213 :tazz:

I am UKBiker and I will be helping you in here.

The advice that you were given before has made changes that ideally I would like to undo. Could you please do the following. This will restore the backup that HJT has created -

To restore the backups:
  • Open HiJackThis
  • Click Open the Misc Tools section
  • Click the Backups button
  • Place a check mark next to everything in that window
  • Click Restore
  • Click Yes
  • Reboot your computer
  • Re-open HiJackThis and post a new logfile for review.
Thanks

UKBiker

bld213

bld213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks.

Just did the restore, and it said it had rEstored the registry, but could not file the file related to

Will post a new log shortly - PC is tied up doing something at the moment so cannot reboot until finished.

bld213

bld213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Here is the latest log output, hope this helps:

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\realmon.exe

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hiya bld213.

Thank you for rescanning and posting the new log. To help me identify what the problems are, could you tell me please --

1 - the nature of the behaviour which leads you to suspect an infection, other than the AV results.

2 - whether you are familiar with and wish to use the site at www.alias-media.com.

3 - whether you have run any online antivirus scans, and if so, which ones.

Thank you

UKBiker

Advertisements

bld213

bld213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Mainly the result of the original etrust virus scan, which identified alcan.c, and the .com files that wre in the windows/syste32 folder.

The PC has been behaving a bit strange - wierd endings to various programs etc.

There is also the file taskmgr.exe in windows/system32, which respawns when deleted, and from reading some online stuff, is associated with alcan.a and lacan.b, so I assumed was related to alcan.c.

I've run software in the thread you are advised to read before posting, including the onlione one, and things have been found and removed, but no mention of alcan.c.

Not sure I am being too helpful here - as I

bld213

bld213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Mainly the result of the original etrust virus scan, which identified alcan.c.

Also the .com files that were in the windows/syste32 folder, a few zips that were elsewhere, and the complete and incomplete folders which were full of zip files with strange names, which were the ones the AV initially identifed as alcan.c

The PC has been behaving a bit strange - wierd endings to various programs etc.

There is also the file taskmgr.exe in windows/system32, which respawns when deleted, and from reading some online stuff, is associated with alcan.a and alcan.b, so I assumed was related to alcan.c.

I've run all the software mentioned in the thread you are advised to read before posting, including the online one, and a few things have been found and removed, but no mention of alcan.c.

Not sure I am being too helpful here - as I said, I've not had a serious virus before, and having read alcan.a etc assumed I was in real trouble with alcan.c

www.alias-media.com is simply my default IE homepage.

Does it look as though I might be clear?

If so then good, but from all of the .com (in a few folders ) and .zip files that I found in the complete and incomplete folders that had wierd names (which the AV initially identifed as alcan.c), something was definitely present and active.

I guess I may just be panicking - sorry if I'm being too vague.

Edited by bld213, 02 July 2005 - 05:08 PM.

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi There

thanks for the reply, its not vague at all. I have looked through the log and it is fairly clean, that is, there are a few "housekeeping" type items, but no signs of malware jump out at me.

Question, have you disabled anything through msconfig at all?

I will run your continuing problems past a few of my colleagues here, just to check that i have not missed something important, and in the meantime, i would be gratefull if you could do the following -

Now clean out your temporary files:
  • Start | Run | type cleanmgr | OK
  • Let it scan your system for files to remove.
  • Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
  • Click "OK" to remove them.
  • Click "Yes" to confirm the deletion.
I will post again as soon as i can

edit - taskmgr.exe is meant to be in that path, its legit.

UKBiker

Edited by ukbiker, 02 July 2005 - 05:27 PM.

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi There bld213

please follow these instructions as we have to make sure that this one is gone for good

*Click Here to download Killbox by Option^Explicit.
*Extract the program to your desktop and double-click on its folder, then double-click on Killbox.exe to start the program.
*In the killbox program, select the Delete on Reboot option.
*Copy the file names below to the clipboard by highlighting them and pressing Control-C:

C:\Program Files\MsConfigs\MsConfigs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\p2pnetwork.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CMD.COM
C:\WINDOWS\system32\netstat.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ping.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedit.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tasklist.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tracert.com

*Return to Killbox, go to the File menu, and choose "Paste from Clipboard".
*Click the red-and-white "Delete File" button. Click "Yes" at the Delete on Reboot prompt. Click "No" at the Pending Operations prompt.

After the reboot run HijackThis again, and post the resulting HijackThis log.

Thanks

UKBiker

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hiya

after you have done the killbox exercise, please run this scan as detailed below. It is an extremely powerfull scan, but slow.

I need you to download MWav to a convenient location.

This scan might take around 3+ hours to finish when set to scan everything.
I need you to run MWav by double-clicking on mwav.exe.
Put a check next to the below items before scanning:
  • Memory
  • Startup Folders
  • Drive - All Local Drives
  • Folder - then click "browse" to change the directory to C: (default is C:\Windows)
  • Registry
  • System Folders
  • Services
  • Include Sub-Directory
  • Scan All Files
Please make sure ALL of these are checked, then press the Scan button. This typically will take hours to complete.

**NOTE*** Sometimes MWav will pause and it appears to be finished, but it isn't done. Just let it run until it says it's complete.

On the bottom portion of the window, you will see the lower panel where MWav is listing "infected items", please highlight everything in that lower panel and copy them by holding CTRL + C then paste it here. The whole log will be extremely BIG so there is no way to post the log. I just need the infected items list.

UKBiker

ps, I just need the infected items list. :tazz: