Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't log into yahoo.

• Please log in to reply

me_b_val

me_b_val

• Pip
  • 4 posts
All of a sudden I'm having trouble logging into my yahoo mail account from my home computer. I have 2 yahoo email accounts and I can't log into either. However I can sign into yahoo messenger for both via Trillian. I can also log into yahoo mail from other people's computers. This has been going on for 2 days now.

I've tried changing my password, clearing my cache, history, and cookies. Deleting the cookies in my cookies folder, using firefox and internet explorer, and rebooting the computer. I can log into other web-based email accounts (i.e. gmail). It's a specific issue between yahoo and my computer.

What else can I do to trouble shoot this issue?

Thanks.

Advertisements

me_b_val

me_b_val

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I even tried creating a new yahoo account. It let me do it and I was able to get into the mail box of that account. However, when I signed out and tried to resign back in it gave me the same response! "Invalid ID or password, please try again".

Thanks in advance again for any help you can give me!!

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
me_b_val, do you have any firewalls or other security-ish programs installed on your PC, like say WinPatrol or the like? If so, try disabling them before trying to log in again. Your problem could also be due to a malware infection. Check out the instructions here for help on how to clean up your computer.

me_b_val

me_b_val

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried disabling my firewall, but the problem still persisted.
I tried doing the steps on the link you sent me. Ad-AwareSE, CleanUp, Spybot, I ran Norton anti-virus, I ran the pandasoft anti-virus/anti-spyware. I'm updated wtih the latest windows updates. The rest seemed like anti-virus programs and it seemed like I shouldn't download them since I already have Norton.

The only thing that came up that I'm not really sure what to do about is with the pandasoft program. It showed me the following that it coulnd't repair unless I purchased something:

Adware:Adware/SuperSpider No disinfected Windows Registry

Adware:Adware/Apropos No disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\AllUsers\ApplicationData\Viewpoint\ViewpointManager\Downloads\AlertSWF\contents\Exec.exe

Adware:Adware/PopCapLoader No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\DownloadedProgram Files\popcaploader.dll

Adware:Adware/PopCapLoader No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.inf

I haven't just manual deleted these because I can't find them. Sometimes the folder doesn't exist, and sometimes the file doesn't exist. Also I"m just afraid to mess with the registry, so I figured I"d ask about it first. The popcaploader stuff probably came from yahoo games. The rest I don't know.

Hopefully fixing the above will help me log into yahoo, but if not - what else should I try?

Thanks for your suggestions.

me_b_val

me_b_val

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The situation got even stranger.
After doing all of the suggested things I tried logging in via Internet Explorer. I can log in, but not if I click to log in the 'secure' way. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox and I can't log in no matter which page I'm on. I'd much rather use firefox over IE and I'd much rather use the 'secure' login vs. not.

Hope you're all enjoying your long weekend.

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Ack. Okay, in that case, you might want to try posting a HijackThis log over at the forum here, and let an expert look over and review your log, and assist you in reverting your PC back to its original clean state should you have a malware infection.