Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Changing Resolution

• Please log in to reply

jsmith3

jsmith3

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a brand new Acer laptop with a SiS M760GX video card but when I try to change the resolution above 1024x768, rather than scaling the items on the screen, the items remain the exact same size but the desktop gets huge and when I move the cursor to the edge of the screen it merely pans across the desktop in that direction. For example, I have to move the cursor to the bottom of the screen and wait while it automatically pans to the down to the taskbar.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers and getting new drivers off the SiS website, but the same thing happens. Is this some ridiculous Windows feature that I don't know about? If so, how to I turn it off and make it so that changing the resolution performs normally?

Thanks for any help... this is really frustrating.

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I must say, I've never heard of this happening before. To answer your question though, this is not some ridiculous feature in Windows.

I would check that PC's documentation and find the maximum resolution supported by it's screen. It is entirely possible that the screen will not support resolutions higher than 1024 x 768. The scrolling of the desktop may be something your video driver is doing to compensate.

Let us know if you can find any documentation for that information. If you don't have any printed paperwork, you can easily check the manufacturer's website.

Thanks, :tazz: