Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

frow

• Please log in to reply

newbie09

newbie09

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay after a good week of research I have finally put together my system. If you see any issues please let me know. I am new to building and will take any suggestions. I have not choosen a case or power supply yet so please also suggest.

CPU-AMD 64 X2 4400+ Toledo ($625.00)
Motherboard- MSI K8n NEO 4 Platinum ($132.00)
Hard Drive-Maxtor Diamond Max 10 300gb (162.00)
Might add a Raptor ($175.00)
Graphics Card-ATI Radeon X800XL($299.99)
Memory-OCZ Platinum ($174.00)

About $1500 total so far after case and cooling etc I should be close to my budget of $2000.

So there it is. A couple of notes. I am not going SLI at this time so please don't recommend it. Also I do plan to do some slight overclocking if I can do it safely so please keep that in mind when suggesting. Lastly, I am not dead set on the video card. The reviews that I saw stated that it was the best card for the money right now. Thanks a lot everyone for you help and suggestions.

Advertisements

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I really dont know that much, but I would strongly advise against the overclocking, you will have one of the fastest processors on the market, and will soon burn it out, if you do so. Paying all that money, and the processor might not even last 2 years.

Not sure about whether they will all work together fine, I will let one of the experts come in and tell you that.

cheers woody.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well first thing your HD, as you will notice the HD price is quite cheap until you get to a certain size and then the price rockets this usually happens at 250GB i know for a fact it does for the maxtor cause im buying one myself, you will be better off with a pair of 200GB ones in a RAID 0 config. The graphics card is a good one but get the HIS one as it comes with the mother of all coolers(dont worry also really quiet) and is crossfire enabled so later when the crossfire boards have been out for a bit you can pick one up and then when you get a new graphics card you just chuck it in and the old one doesnt go to waste.

The RAM make sure you research it and get the best the patriot stuff apparently is very nice in and corsair as always is the king of the RAM hill. No point addin a raptor if you are runnin a gaming/general purpose rig especially if you are running a RAID 0 and have plenty of ram. The new Akasa hsfs are getting good reviews and for powersupplies i like the ones from Hiper as they are really good value for money and are also good lookin and reliable, what more can you ask of a PSU.

A case well that really is a personal thing you can get a 40 quid case and mod the [bleep] out of it and such or you can get a 50-60 quid midi case and leave it as it is and get a new one later on when you upgrade your pc if you fancy a change. Or you can get a more expensive case which tend to be a bit more unusual and then it really is a taste thing as well as performance as some like the vento are horrendous but for some reason people buy them. At the moment my big dilema is the case get a cheap super lanboy now which has everything i need or get an akasa or lian li and be stuck with it forever as ill be dammed replacing a hundred quid case in a couple of years. Also with the BTX standard about to come out you might want to look at cases which support it and its upside down sensibleness.