Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System shuts down

• Please log in to reply

Enfant Terrible

Enfant Terrible

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello

Recently my pc shuts itself down without any error message before. I ve found out, that this must be caused by my nvida fx 5200 card because it olny happens when i play games.
When i start my pc again then there is a error msg that overclocking failed (i ve never overclocked my pc actually)

i could imagine, that something with the colly of the card is not okey but i am not certain about that.

What could i do to prevent smt. like that (or what could be the fault actually?)

tx

greets

Advertisements

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Random shut downs may have several causes. One, there may be a cause with a conflict with graphics card drivers, which I doubt. But since you recently got a graphics card, then there may be another hardware problem. Your power supply unit may not be big enough to hold whatever wattage your card needs, along with all you other components. Do you know what type of PSU you have?

Second, the restart may be caused by heat. If you have accidentally overclocked your machine by changing some settings in the BIOS, then you parts will run harder, and thus heat up. Without proper cooling, overclocked parts will burn out, or your computer will shut down to avoid fatal damage. This may be a case since you are getting that overclocking message.

Peace,
Jared

Enfant Terrible

Enfant Terrible

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
he problem was caused by the psu ... i ve removed a harddisk and know everything works fine

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can pick up a new PSU for not alot of money if you want your HD back.

Enfant Terrible

Enfant Terrible

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i was wrong........the error was not caused by the psu

i ve now removed the "shut itself down" option so i can get a blue screen.

Theese are the msg i get :

"Kmode_exception_not_handled ntoskrnl"
or
Irql_not_less_or_equal"

and some others but the first one ist most often.

i dont really know what to do........my pc need more time to start (especiall the dos sektion at the beginning needs a lot)
and of course there is a error msg saying overclocked failed although i ve never overclocked my system.......

has anyone an idea what could be the reason for it and how to prevent it

tx

greets