Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE6 won't load

• Please log in to reply

themick171

themick171

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have recently uninstalled Norton internet security 2004 and replaced with McAfee Internet security 2005 (minus privacy and spam components). Since then I cannot get IE6 to work, as in the pages never fully load (green bars never reach the end). I have windows XP home SP2. I have tried to fix the problem by checking for spyware (spybot and Adaware), viruses (McAffee), using sfc \scannow, restoring to default settings. All with no apparent problem. WMP 9 connects to internet fine, as does windows messenger and firefox and opera. I disabled the firewall and antivirus and yet still nothing.
The problem has really intensified now that I can no longer get updates for McAfee IS2005, as I desperately need a stable safe computer for my work. Suggestions desperately needed.
I have tried to use SymNRT to remove remaining Norton entries, McAfee was loaded at the time though.

Sorry Mods if this is a repeat, but I didn't find any suggestions, althoough it was a short look. :tazz:

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Start the Registry Editor
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Active Setup \ Installed Components \ {89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
right-click the IsInstalled value, and then click Modify
Change the value data, from 1 to 0
Close the registry editor
Download and install Internet Explorer 6.

The above will let you reinstall the Internet Explorer 6 browser component. To reinstall Outlook Express 6, change the IsInstalled value from the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Active Setup \ Installed Components \ {44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Note: You need to be logged on as an administrator to be able to change these registry keys.

http://www.helpwithw...P/howto-03.html

Johanna

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I have recently uninstalled Norton internet security 2004 and replaced with McAfee Internet security 2005 (minus privacy and spam components). Since then I cannot get IE6 to work,

Since you made this change now you can no longer surf the net. LOL :tazz:

Before you do what Czarina suggested you might wanna back up your registry just in case. Their are a lot of various fixes for IE. For example, From the desktop click start, run, in the dialog box
enter each file name from the list below click ok. (Follow same steps for each file.)

regsvr32 shell32.dll
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

Next Reboot PC. This will completely repair IE 6 for Windows XP

Also. You can reinstall IE in Windows XP by clicking Start, Run and entering the following command:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf

System Restore would be a useful tool in this situation. I would also recommend disabling "Enable 3rd party Browser Extensions", from your IE browser as well.

themick171

themick171

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Tried All suggestions. Firstly tried irongeeks sugestions, then Czarinas result -nothing. When I treid to reistall IE6 using downlaod it says more recent IE6 already installed. Must I remove all updates and SP2. What a pain, I'm on dial-up.

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
System restore didn't work for this?

I have recently uninstalled Norton internet security 2004 and replaced with McAfee Internet security 2005 (minus privacy and spam components). Since then I cannot get IE6 to work,

<----For TRIAL AND ERROR----> I would recommend Uninstalling all SECURITY programs and AV software from your PC. (make sure your system is patched first) when done reboot PC. Open IE and see what happens? Are you able to ping websites? yahoo google etc... By IP address and domain name? Firewall on dial up? Not need IMO. All you need to know is OS security for your platform. :tazz:

Edited by Irongeek, 04 July 2005 - 07:21 AM.

themick171

themick171

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Finally OK. Removed all AV components. Reset winsocks by run >CMD > netsh winsock reset. Also removed Google desktop. Rebooted. IE6 OK. reinstalled MCafee Av Ok. Reinstalled Google desktop Ok. Thanks Irongeek and Czarina. :tazz:

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Your welcome. :tazz: