Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chronic Restarter

• Please log in to reply

bfoo75

bfoo75

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just put down about 350$ buying a new motherboard, Vidcard, and ram, but after putting all the new stuff in and turning on the comp, some wierd stuff starts happening.

I have a duplicate image of my 120gig harddrive on my 160gig because a while ago I got a bad cluster in the drives boot sector and I had to back everything up assuming the worst; a harddrive failure. Anyways, I plugged everything back in with the new parts and my comp tells me I have a bad system disk when it tries to boot from the 160gig drive, and it restarts whenever I try and boot it off my original 120gig. It seems to start loading windows, then before anything graphical comes on the screen it restarts, then starts windows again and says it failed to load during boot -> Tried Safemode -> gets to the end of the drivers list, then the last driver I see loading is the xmasbus.sys and it restarts again.

Anyone know whatsup? Would be a huge help, my battlefield fingers are getting ancy.

Advertisements

bfoo75

bfoo75

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't know if it helps much, but for some reason the bios thinks my 160gig is a 33.6gig drive.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
After installing the new stuff did you do a clean install of windows?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It might be reading the image as a new hard drive under its own partition i never copy a whole hard disk image if something goes wrong with the old one you take the files you NEED not everything as you end up with the years of crap data you accumulate over the years. So get your old HD if it works still stick it in burn the files you need to keep onto CD or usb pen or whatever floats yer boat. Then reformat and clean install windows onto your 160gig.

I get the partition thing from the fact that a 160gig hard drive minus a 120gig will give you what youve got left.