Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 95 over xp/98

• Please log in to reply

poorak

poorak

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Is it possible that i can install win 95 over win xp/98 ....if is then plz let me know....

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Not very likely and the results wouldn't be very good if you did. The three versions use different file formats, the older version can't "see" the newer files or partitions, they see them as non-dos partitions. Also, the old win95 can't can't load drivers for the hardware on newer machines, I haven't tried with win98 vs. an XP style machine so I can't answer that. So even if you set aside a partition and formated it for win95 you wouldn't have much luck. I have a couple of nice liitle machines that have win95 on them, they're the kind that were used as terminals at banks, the Unisys/HP Small PC 20, cost me all of twenty buck each. Readily available surplus, 333mhz Pentium Pro CPU, 66mhz bus speed, ATi RageII-C video, gameport and joystick (on a bankers computer) Sahara II MoBo with Intel chipset. Network ready, just had to plug them into the router. One caveat, they have an Ethernet connection and NO cd-rom, so you'll have to network them to use a cd-rom. I've upgraded one to win98 (kept the old disk) and it's still a very snappy machine. Takes up only 1/3 cubic foot too.

poorak

poorak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
well i wanted to install win 95 over any of the 2 (win XP / win 98) . Another choice could be installing it on a separate partition . Actually all my partitions are FAT 32 . So can it be possible to install 95 there>???