Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-R/RW disappears

• Please log in to reply

dhays4925

dhays4925

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: I have a Compaq Presario 4060(US) which contains a Philips CDD4801 CD-R/RW running Windows ME (all condolances accepted). Most days (except of course today), when the computer is first powered on, the CD works fine. Upon a reboot, the device stops working and disappears from Device Manager...it will not respond to pressing of the CD door open button. I have checked all cables, cable connections, etc, upgraded the BIOS, dowloaded MSCDROM.INF again, etc. Nothing seems to clear this up, except turning the computer off and trying again the next day.

Today (of course) I powered up computer for first time and the CD would not function. I have started computer in Safe Mode and oddly enough, the device appears and is properly ID'd in Device Manager.

I would replace the drive, but Compaq appears to have built the entire tower around the drive making it's removable all but impossible (perhaps someone knows the secret code?).

Any help on either eliminating the mysterious disappearance of the drive or removing the drive from the tower all together would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
ohh man...i hate compaq's....if you can afford a new computer, beat that one with a sledge hammer.

The only thing i can think of is to reinstall the operating system. Itll likely work then. If you want to replace the drive it is a nightmare but it is do-able, it just involved taking most of the casing apart.

If you could send pictures of the case with the side off i could give you a better idea of how to get in.

dhays4925

dhays4925

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for prompt response. Here's a shot looking down into cabinet at the bottom of the CD ROM. I can also send you photos of top/front and rear of computer if that would help. The only thing I can see is a couple of rivets on the back side which if drilled out, might make it easier...

Thanks again for your help!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP2294.JPG

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I have seen this issue before, and I am quite sure that the way the computer hardware is set up is not the problem. Try this download for a fix:

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=15

Peace,
Jared

dhays4925

dhays4925

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Jared:

I believe I tried before, but I couldn't find the file in your post. Could you please repost?

As I said, I saw the reference earlier, dowloaded, ran rebooted, but same result: no CDROM.

Thanks!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I got myself a nice used (hardly ever) computer with a cdrw and winME installed, the cdrw didn't work with ME, ME seems to have an issue with rw. In fact the mfr (in this case Packerd Bell) has a compatibilty update for Nero and ME, so we know that at least for this machine there is an issue.

I took the rw out of the ME machine, put it in my 98 machine that I use for setups and working on drives, and it worked right away and Nero works fine too. I've since burned about 7gb of disks.

ME doesn't get along well with anything that uses DOS, even during installation, so I don't reccomend it for running applications.

I don't know where you're located, but If you can get a generic (not HP, Compaq or even Dell) machine, just something someone built in a box, with windows98 you'll probably be better off. You'd be surprized at how many people have one sitting in their basement, having never bothered to get rid of it, complete with the documents and installation disks. And it might be yours for twenty bucks or the asking.

dhays4925

dhays4925

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I appreciate your response, however the CD works fine (most days) until a reboot is performed. This tells me it's something in the software, but remarkably nobody seems to have seen this problem or knows how to fix (short of tossing it out!). I have tried fooling the system by changing the system clock or blowing cold air onto it (perhaps thermal issue), but if I reboot within the first few minutes of initial daily start up, poof, the CD disappears. Also, I don't understand why it appears in Safe Mode under Device Manager if Windows ME loses it? It didn't use to be this way so something has changed....but it remains a mystery!

Thanks again for your help.