Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Defragmenter

• Please log in to reply

jmelendez86

jmelendez86

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I try to use the defragmenter on my computer but it hasnt worked since my ma used the computer ;) . I have a Dell Inspiron 1150. I get this message:
Defragmentation of [C:] has been aborted due to inconsistencies that were detected in the filesystem. Please run CHKDISK or SCANDISK on [C:] to repair these inconsistencies then run disk defragmenter again.

What do I do? :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

So did you run checkdisk or scandisk??

Murray

jmelendez86

jmelendez86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I dont know where to go????????? :tazz: ;)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
What operating system??

I would also suggest you take a little bit of time to get to know your system and the programs installed on it..

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 04 July 2005 - 08:26 PM.

jmelendez86

jmelendez86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 1150

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Open up My Computer.. Now, right click on your harddrive icon and select "Properties".. Now, click on "Tools"..

The CheckDisk option is the first one.. It may be called "error - checking"..

Check the two boxes that pop up and then run the checkdisk program..

Once it is finished, reboot your system and walk away for a little while as it will do a thorough scan when it boots up..

Murray

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Right click on My Computer and go to Manage. Then select Disk Management and then your C drive. Right click on it and then select properties, then tools and then under error checking, select check now. This should run a basic three step CHKDSK. If this won't run, create a restore point and then from a command prompt (at Run, type CMD) type CHKDSK /R [note- there must be a space between the K and the / ]

One can also select to repair system files from the management console but I'd suggest running the simple 3 step process first. It sounds as if you have some errors that need correcting or perhaps a partition table problem. Nothing to be real alarmed with ........ at least not yet.

:tazz:

jmelendez86

jmelendez86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
:tazz: Thanks so much! This got my defragmenter working and I can now download adobe!....you killed 2 birds with one stone!

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

you killed 2 birds with one stone!

I think Murray and I posted about the same time so you got a double barreled dose of stones. Glad it worked out.

:tazz: