Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP/monitor help?!

• Please log in to reply

ktg748

ktg748

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all

Hoping someone out there could help me....

I am running WinXP SP2 with a Geforce4 MX440 video card from Nvidia.

The monitor was working fine as an unknown monitor, but I was having a few issues with various programs, so I downloaded the latest driver update from the Nvidia site (20 megs on a painfully slow dialup really sucks...!)

Anyway, ran the driver installer, it came up with a "no compatible hardware found on this system" message. I shutdown and pulled the AGP card, and restarted with out the card in, with the hopes of getting a 'new hardware found' wizard the next time around.

When I replaced the card and started, it booted normally, the WinXP startup screen appeared, then where the login page normally appears, I get blank.

The machine seems to be working fine, I can access shared files on its hard drive, I can get into BIOS, it was showing the default video to be PCI, so I changed to AGP thinking that might be the problem, but no luck.

Its almost like its going to a zero resolution once Windoze boots..... but I have no idea as to how to get it back to something viewable!!! I tried a different monitor with the same problem.....

HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance!

ktg748 :tazz:

Edited by ktg748, 05 July 2005 - 12:28 AM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Can you get into safe mode? if so I'd say it sounds like the driver is royally messed up. You could try unistalling from safe mode and then reinstalling.

Are you sure you have the correct driver? maybe look for the company that made the card.... maybe it's a weird oem or a special mod or something...

ktg748

ktg748

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks shard!!

It hung up on the safe mode boot at the mup driver...

So I tried 'Last Known Good Configuration' for kicks and it gave me back my display!!!!

I still have the original problem though - XP is still not recognizing the Nvidia card

display properties goes to Default Monitor
Adapter Information: all are unavailable
Adapter Type Properties: VgaSave
Device Type: Non-Plug and Play Drivers
Manufacturer: Unknown

I need to get XP to find the Nvidia card to take advantage of the graphics - this generic VgaSave driver doesn't use the card properly.....

I am tempted to do a reinstall - but my computer came with XP preinstalled so I don't have a disk....

ktg748

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
You can try downloading the latest driver from here

http://www.nvidia.co...ers/drivers.asp

but first try uninstalling any video drivers you find. both in add remove programs and device manager

ktg748

ktg748

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thats how I got started on all of this!!!

There were no drivers for a display in Add/Remove Programs, so I went to the Device Manager and couldn't find anything there either!!

I downloaded from the Nvidia site, but when I run their installer, it says 'no compatible hardware found'

Short of reinstalling XP, I don't know what else to do....

:tazz: ;)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you have onboard video it might need turned off and you have got your monitor plugged into the card.
Old hardware can be a real pain though you might want to consider a cheap 5 series card to replace it or even just borrow one to determine if your pc is running ok and windows is installed properly that way you know if ot is the card or something else.

What issues was the card having it may just be that there is something that card doesnt support beinf done by the software.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
If it isn't finding a card it makes me think you have some modded oem. You may have to find out who made your card and go to their site for a driver.

or maybe the card is bad and you need a new one.

choirbass

choirbass

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

i dont know if this will work, but you could try manually installing the drivers' .inf file through the device manager... like, the .inf file should be located in the nVidia folder that has all the setup files and such extracted to it after you run the downloaded installer

Hope this helps :tazz:

Edit-

oops... didnt see you already went to device manager... lol

Edited by choirbass, 03 August 2005 - 03:45 AM.