Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP startup Theme problems?

• Please log in to reply

pjm333

pjm333

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have windows XP Pro SP2. When my computer starts the XP start theme is broken up into sometimes 1 or 2 places. My computer came this way but dell wont help me unless I pay for the software support. Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you're referring to the music that plays when you start your machine, then its just probably corrupted. Do you really need the music playing?

If not, just disable it from starting via Control Panel\Sounds and Audio Devices\Sound tab. Under Program events, scroll to "Start Windows" and choose "none". Click on OK.

If you "need" the music playing, then you can just copy the .wav file from another XP computer and replace the corrupted file on your computer.

The .wav file is named Windows XP Startup, and it's located in the C:\Windows\Media folder.

makai

pjm333

pjm333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
makai
Thanks for your reply. Your right, the startup theme is unimportant but my thinking was why not try to figure out what is wrong and try to fix it. I posted on several sites and your advice is the best so far. I appreciate it. Thanks again.

pat...

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
you're welcome! :tazz:

makai