Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SYSTEM RESTORE PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

DAMKAT13

DAMKAT13

• Pip
  • 7 posts
HI

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME MY COMPUTER WAS SHUT DOWN DURING A SYSTEM RESTORE. THE COMPUTER HAS RESTORED TO THE OLD DATE BUT I CANT USE INTERNET EXPLORER WHERE A PASSWORD IS REQUIRED. AND SYSTEM RESTORE IS BLANK SO CANT UNDO SYSTEM RESTORE. I DID NOT REQUIRE A SYSTEM RESTORE TO BE DONE ON MY COMPUTER (WAS DONE BY A SO CALLED EXPERT, THIS TYPE GIVE TRUE EXPERTS A BAD NAME) DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN FIX MY PROBLEMS AND UNDO THE SYSTEM RESTORE. I WOULD BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL.

THANKS

DAMKAT13

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
usually if you go back to system restore you can go back to where you wee originally. I am not sure what happens if it restarts before the restore process has finished.
other than that you can't go forward in time.

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

THE COMPUTER HAS RESTORED TO THE OLD DATE BUT I CANT USE INTERNET EXPLORER WHERE A PASSWORD IS REQUIRED.

Thats because someone enabled content advisor and set a Supervisor password. Now to bypass this password protected prompt simply, follow these steps it's a VERY SIMPLE registry hack which works I just tested it out on my XP Pro & IE 6.0 before I posted this;

Open regedit.exe (usually performed via the Run command).
Navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
\Policies\Ratings
Right-click the key and delete it.
Open Internet Explorer and navigate to Tools | Internet Options | Content.
Disable Content Advisor. (Enter a new, more easily remembered password if you want.)
This simple Windows Registry hack will disable the Internet Explorer Content advisor and return Internet Explorer to its default state.

You will now be able to surf the net with IE. I got the 'registry hack' from some site so credit goes their.

Edited by Irongeek, 05 July 2005 - 10:08 AM.

DAMKAT13

DAMKAT13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

Thanks for replying I appreciate your help. unfortunatly my content advisor is the problem it is not activated. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

thanks

Damkat13

DAMKAT13

DAMKAT13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi guys

Just thought I would let you know I have decided to buy a new copy of Windows XP and Install as I have lost mine. Thanks again for all of your help.

Thanks

Damkat13 :tazz: