Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dad's computer keeps crashing, need help.

• Please log in to reply

¿?¿

¿?¿

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My dad asked me to install broadband on his computer. (Operating system Windows ME)

Whenever I try to use a menu or anything at all

"Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>
Explorer will now close

If you continue to experience problems,
try restarting your computer."

comes up, then the computer just freezes. Anyone have any ideas whats wrong or how to fix it?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well first thing I'd do is try running a virus/spyware/adware scan and see if you have some nasties running in the background.

¿?¿

¿?¿

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thats what I want to do, but I cant get one open. Just does the same thing then freezes. :tazz:.

I love but hate computers.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
If the programs are already installed you can probably run them from safemode. You get into safe mode by tapping the f8 key when booting up. ( start tapping before windows splash screen shows up. )

¿?¿

¿?¿

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hahaha wow, im quick. I didnt even think of running it in safe mode.

Thanks alot :tazz:.

Its late at night here, around 3 am so I wont be able to check til tomorrow.

I appreciate it.

Nic

Janice Wiggs

Janice Wiggs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
in the FWIW dept....i've had this horrid ME since 2001 I think....I have found I cannot RUN IE as my Browser...it would crash and freeze up constantly. I am now on Firefox...rarely crashes or freezes....don't know why...but it works. Tried IE yesterday because my IP only will work with that,,,guess what...froze up.

I don't know if it would work for you, but you could give it a shot.

jan

jamie72

jamie72

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

My dad asked me to install broadband on his computer. (Operating system Windows ME)

Whenever I try to use a menu or anything at all

"Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>
Explorer will now close

If you continue to experience problems,
try restarting your computer."

comes up, then the computer just freezes. Anyone have any ideas whats wrong or how to fix it?

View Post

try creating a new user account you can reinstall ie and outlook with a reg hack to trick windows into thinking its not installed or try a reg cleaner program u have been told to do virus and spywear checks but make sure you update the vires /spywear programs clean all cookies and tempery internet files and tick including offline files do a defrag of your hardisk and if this all doesn't work search the forums for a answer but if this all fails reinstall windows and don't reinstall with m/e its a b%tch.....-----

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Get a copy of XP :tazz:, or convert to linux ;)