Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Turning On & Off Rapidly

• Please log in to reply

RyGuy

RyGuy

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well, maybe about a week or so ago, my computer began to turn on and off rapidly for no reason, out of the blue. It has nothing to do with my electric in the house, because the rest of the things on my surge protector didn't turn off. I was wondering if anyone on here could help me determine what is causing this. And also, will this cause any harm to my computer to turn on and off rapidly like this?

I don't know if this means anything, but... after 15 or so times of turning on and off, the computer seems to shut itself down completely until you plug and replug the power cord in. I'm thinking that is probably by design or something in the motherboard though? No idea...

edit: I also forgot to add, the last time it did this... it will not respond to pushing the power button after unplugging and replugging the power supply in. Which means I can't even get the computer to boot up now. I'm thinking maybe a bad power supply? But I bought a really good case with a good power supply, and this pc is fairly new... it shouldn't have died yet. This sucks. Anyone who can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edited by RyGuy, 05 July 2005 - 05:05 PM.

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
I think it might be a malware related problem. Please go HERE and follow step five and let the people there help you.

Emery

Edited by S A A B, 06 July 2005 - 10:55 AM.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
make sure you don't have a problem with your PSU, and your machine is getting enough power to operate. you can check that in your BIOS. Also make sure your machine isn't overheating, as the pc would turn itself off to protect itself from any damage.

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Check the red switch on the back of your power supply near where the power cord plugs into it and make sure it is firmly set to 115V. Unplug the power cord before messing with the switch. Flip it to the other setting, then back to 115V with a pen, making sure it is pushed all the way into place.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Two more things, check your fan operation and your cooling surfaces.