Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 98 only displays 16 colors

• Please log in to reply

fish_mallow

fish_mallow

• Pip
  • 2 posts
please help.. :tazz: i have read through all of the threads regarding this issue that i'm having but i know i have encountered this prob differently.. this prob just occured after i have replaced my monitor. i dont have installer for my video card for it is "built-in" to the motherboard. my videocard is SIS620 VGA. i have tried all the possible fix available online but to no avail.. ;) i don't know what else to do.. i need assistance.. your help would be very much appreciated. if you can respond asap, i dont have much time. thanks again..

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
1) be sure that the driver for the video card is installed correctly ( check device manager )

2) check to see what the monitor is being identified as. ( can also be done in device manager or in settings where you change colors and resolution )

3) Under settings what does it say? something like "sis620vga adaptor on plug and play monitor " or what? You said it only gives you 16 colors... is that the only option or won't it work at higher settings? What is your resolution set for? can you change the resolution settings?

fish_mallow

fish_mallow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:

hi, thanks for the reply..

here's my answers.. ;)

1) yes, it seems that the video card is installed correctly for i am not showing any exclamation point or something like that..

2) i have checked on everest home the monitor identified as the ff: (maybe this info can help you)

--------[ Monitor] ------------------

[ 1554 [NoDB] ]

Monitor Properties:
Monitor Name 1554 [NoDB]
Monitor ID CEN4B4C
Model 1554
Manufacture Date 2001
Serial Number 110016843009
Max. Visible Display Size 37 cm x 27 cm (18.0")
Picture Aspect Ratio 5:3
Horizontal Frequency 30 - 54 kHz
Vertical Frequency 40 - 54 Hz
Gamma 2.70
DPMS Mode Support Standby, Suspend, Active-Off

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium III, 500 MHz (5 x 100)
Motherboard Name PCChips M748LMRT (1 ISA, 1 PCI, 3 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, Modem)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 620
System Memory 279 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (07/15/95)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port EPSON Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter SiS 620 (8 MB)
3D Accelerator SiS 86C306
Monitor 1554 [NoDB] (110016843009)

3) on setting it says display: 1554 on sis 620,plug and play.. on setting tab drop down box (where you could choose colors) only has 16 colors option then on screen area, i could not move the tab to adjust to a higher resolution. it is just fix on 640x480 pixels

further assistance is really needed. thanks for your time.. any help is greatly appreciated.

p.s
i already tried downloading updated sis620 drivers to sis.com but windows detected that updated driver is already installed on this machine.. dnt really know where to go from here...

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well first just because there is no exclamation point or anything doesn't mean there isn't a problem. so lets double check... go to device manager and see what it says under display adaptors ( it does sound like windows has it id but just ot make sure )

Assuming the drivers are there and it is listed correctly they could be corrupted. either you could try to force windows to update or go to safemode and remove the video driver both in device manager and check add/remove programs. then restart to full windows and see if it redetects it correctly.

As far as the monitor.... is there any name or anything printed on it? I'm not familiar with the numbers that it's giving you.

If after installing the drivers it still doesn't work you could try going to settings then advanced and look for the adaptor tag at the top. go there and see if it gives you the option to change the refresh rate.... ( Careful you can damage the monitor by setting this to a bad setting ). if it does and you can select default or optimal settings do so and see if that helps... that has worked for me in the past on some older monitors. my first inclination is corrupt video drivers but if it happened when you changed monitors....

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Download your driver from HERE .

Unzip it and then go into Device Manager and update the video.graphics adapter.. Just point it to the folder you unzipped the driver files in when it asks for the location of the driver..

Murray