windows 98 only displays 16 colors
Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:40 PM
Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:41 AM
2) check to see what the monitor is being identified as. ( can also be done in device manager or in settings where you change colors and resolution )
3) Under settings what does it say? something like "sis620vga adaptor on plug and play monitor " or what? You said it only gives you 16 colors... is that the only option or won't it work at higher settings? What is your resolution set for? can you change the resolution settings?
Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:56 PM
hi, thanks for the reply..
here's my answers..
1) yes, it seems that the video card is installed correctly for i am not showing any exclamation point or something like that..
2) i have checked on everest home the monitor identified as the ff: (maybe this info can help you)
--------[ Monitor] ------------------
[ 1554 [NoDB] ]
Monitor Name 1554 [NoDB]
Monitor ID CEN4B4C
Manufacture Date 2001
Serial Number 110016843009
Max. Visible Display Size 37 cm x 27 cm (18.0")
Picture Aspect Ratio 5:3
Horizontal Frequency 30 - 54 kHz
Vertical Frequency 40 - 54 Hz
DPMS Mode Support Standby, Suspend, Active-Off
CPU Type Intel Pentium III, 500 MHz (5 x 100)
Motherboard Name PCChips M748LMRT (1 ISA, 1 PCI, 3 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, Modem)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 620
System Memory 279 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (07/15/95)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port EPSON Printer Port (LPT1)
Video Adapter SiS 620 (8 MB)
3D Accelerator SiS 86C306
Monitor 1554 [NoDB] (110016843009)
3) on setting it says display: 1554 on sis 620,plug and play.. on setting tab drop down box (where you could choose colors) only has 16 colors option then on screen area, i could not move the tab to adjust to a higher resolution. it is just fix on 640x480 pixels
further assistance is really needed. thanks for your time.. any help is greatly appreciated.
i already tried downloading updated sis620 drivers to sis.com but windows detected that updated driver is already installed on this machine.. dnt really know where to go from here...
Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:38 AM
Assuming the drivers are there and it is listed correctly they could be corrupted. either you could try to force windows to update or go to safemode and remove the video driver both in device manager and check add/remove programs. then restart to full windows and see if it redetects it correctly.
As far as the monitor.... is there any name or anything printed on it? I'm not familiar with the numbers that it's giving you.
If after installing the drivers it still doesn't work you could try going to settings then advanced and look for the adaptor tag at the top. go there and see if it gives you the option to change the refresh rate.... ( Careful you can damage the monitor by setting this to a bad setting ). if it does and you can select default or optimal settings do so and see if that helps... that has worked for me in the past on some older monitors. my first inclination is corrupt video drivers but if it happened when you changed monitors....
Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:22 PM
Download your driver from HERE .
Unzip it and then go into Device Manager and update the video.graphics adapter.. Just point it to the folder you unzipped the driver files in when it asks for the location of the driver..
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users