Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel

• Please log in to reply

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
okay im working on something for excel and this is a simplified (VERY simplified) version of my problem

Say i put '34' in A1, then in A2 i type '=A1' how can i copy the value 34 from A2 without copying '=A1'

(Note: Please dont tell me to copy A1, coz wot im actually working on is a much more sophisticated formula than than '=A1' and i cant simply retype the value because there are over 100 cells i need to copy at once, many of them going into as many as 12 digits).

thank you,
ben

Advertisements

dsm

dsm

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ben,
There may be a simple solution if I have understood your problem.

select cell A2 or a range of cells then 'edit' 'copy'
select a destination cell say A3 the 'edit' 'paste special' 'values' enter.

Hope this helps

Regards
David

jasonharrod

jasonharrod

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
^^ Ditto

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
If you do not wish to copy A1, (the entered numeric value) but you wish to copy the FORMULA that you put in A2, then do this: select A2, then place your cursor in the bottom right corner of that cell. You will notice that the cursor changes to a small black cross (unlike the white embossed cross) This is the autofill feature.

You can go to the right and it will fill in the consecutive cells with the corresponding increasing values BUT, if you want it to increase, you must have a range of numbers for it to base it's increase on.

For example: I put 34 in A1, then 38 in A2, I select A1 and A2 tegether, go the bottom right hand corner, and press and hold the mouse and drag right. The numbers are increased as I move right by a value determined by the difference between A1 and A2 (or increases by four) So A3 would be 42, A4 would be 46 and so on.

Now, then if you want to just USE the value of A2, then you might want to consider the "PASTE SPECIAL" feature. This allows you to use the value of the cell selected anywhere in the workbook. If the value of the selected cell changes, the "PASTE SPECIAL" will carry that value to the new location you selected.

For Example: Using your example, A1 has the numeric value of "34. A2 is set to reflect the value of A1, I would copy A2, then go to where you want the value put (say B5) and do the "PASTE SPECIAL". The corresponding value of Whatever was in A2 will be reflected in B5. And it will automatically update everytime the value of A2 changes.
What this prevents is the cells adjusting when you do a simple copy.

I hope this is what you were refering to.

If you need more help, I will try whatever I can.