Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to know about my power supply

• Please log in to reply

Rome09

Rome09

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hey there guys, I'm going to upgrade my radeon 9000 Pro to an eVGA 6800gt video card, I need to know if my power supply can handle it.
Unfortunately, I dont know how I can find out what kind of power supply I have, or how many watts it provides.
I use EVEREST to find all my other computer specifications and I must say its very useful, but I can't seem to find any info on my power supply! Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Pull the cover off. It may have the wattage rating on the psu.....

Rome09

Rome09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Pull the cover off.  It may have the wattage rating on the psu.....

View Post

alright, is there any other way i could find it if not that way?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
if it's a name brand you might be able to find out online or it might be on your reciept for the computer. but in general the way to find out is look at the psu.

From my sources it looks like the difference between those cards is about 30 watts. IF you know what you have you can use this site to see how much power you should have available.

http://www.jscustomp...m/power_supply/

Another thing to think about does your board support 8x or only 4x. iF it's only 4x it will hamper the 6800gt card to some degree.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you have to take the cover off to be sure but if your hesitant to take it off to look at the PSU rating sticker you might not want to install a 6800GT into it . Also make sure you have enough power connectors that card will need an extra power cable if i remember correctly.

Rome09

Rome09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I should also note that I'm not an expert at installing things, although I know how to take all the cards out(uhh thats not saying much huh? lol) and also install a new heatsink/fan onto my CPU, that was quite an adventure..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont have to be an expert modern computer technology is thankfully for most people completely idiot proof. Confidence is a big help though it is when you are indecisive and muck around that you can screw it up. Mind you opening up the case and reading the sticker isnt much of a task lol.

How old is the PC if it is more than a year (two at the most) old it wont be able to handle it probably forunately for you PSUs are cheap and plentiful and a new one doesnt do anyone any harm.

Rome09

Rome09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

if it's a name brand you might be able to find out online or it might be on your reciept for the computer.  but in general the way to find out is look at the psu.

From my sources it looks like the difference between those cards is about 30 watts.  IF you know what you have you can use this site to see how much power you should have available.

http://www.jscustomp...m/power_supply/

Another thing to think about does your board support 8x or only 4x.  iF it's only 4x it will hamper the 6800gt card to some degree.

View Post

OK well i have a K7N2 motherboard, and I need to make sure of a few things-
First of all, would I have enough power connectors for my 6800gt? I know that it may require an extra connector after all.
Also, does my MSI K7N2 motherboard(has a motorcycle on the box cover) suppoort 8x AGP? I think it does but i want to make sure, thanks!

Rome09

Rome09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I found the spec's on my power supply, I really hope its good enough for the 6800gt video card- here it is-
It's read:
"Raidmax Switching Power"
"Raidmax Model RD-350(350W Max)"
It also had a little red switch that was on "115W" but that could be changed to "230W."
If someone could figure this out for me it would be great, thanks!

Kerryman87

Kerryman87

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
So that's a 350Watt power supply then. I'm not sure exactly how much wattage you would need for a 6800GT, because I actually have a 6800GT but I have a 520Watt PSU because of all the other stuff I have, and I doubt you would need that much wattage for just installing a 6800GT.

What I can tell you though is not to worry about the 155W/230W switch. If you are in the US it should always stay at 155.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
>>>>"It also had a little red switch that was on "115W" but that could be changed to "230W." <<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>>DO NOT TOUCH<<<<<<<<<<

That was a "V" not a "W" >>>"V" is for VOLTS << >> "W" is for WATTS

This is to connect to 230 Volt . .
(European Input Power is: 230 Volt 50 Hz input power)

USA input power is: 115 Volts 60 Hz (KEEP IT AT 115W)

!!!!!!!!AND DO NOT SWITCH WHILE RUNNING!!!!! EVER!!!!

Jack123

Kerryman87

Kerryman87

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Like I said..