Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 ROUTERS ONE NETWORK HELP PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply

jftm

jftm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all!!

Im newbie in this!

My original network was like this:

One netgear wireless router connected to a dsl modem.
then a 3com 8 port switch connnected to one lan ports of router.
then all computers connected to the switch or router LAN ports. working nice.

I recieved a free linksys wireless router and it was perfect because i needed more ports and wireless coverage in other rooms. ...

heres my question:

how can i configure the new router to act just like an AP or wireless switch or something like that??. i want the Netgear router to stay as it is and then connect the Linksys to it, and i still need the switch for the ports. I want all computers to share files, printers and internet.

where the switch shoud be?? between the 2 routers, after the 2nd, at same level?? do i have to disable 2nd routers DCHP?? how i will configure the internet connection in the Linksys router?? Subnet mask, private ip adresses in Linksys??

PLEASE HELP!!! im loosing time and money each day beacause i cannot configure this!!

Advertisements

Devinder

Devinder

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You need to make few changes to the Netgear router. Just connect a CAT5 straight cable connecting a regular Ethernet port on your new router to the UPLINK port on your older router(or the other way round, does'nt matter). Set the wireless settings like SSID and WEP security if any. Turn off DHCP server on your new router, All the computers connected to your old and new router ports will be able to share files and printers. Make sure that your new Router's LAN IP address is on the same network as the older router, whioch means that if your older router and computers connected to it have IP addresses 192.168.1.XXX then you want to set the LAN IP address of the new router as 192.168.1.XXX for it to be on the same network. The computer connected to the new router will get their IP addresses from the older router.

Hope this helps.

Devinder

Devinder

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is an additon to to my previous reply. here is no need to try to set the LAP IP address on the new router. With the configuration suggested, the new router will act like a switch and an Access Point, and such does not need to have an IP address assigned to it. Wireless clients will get their IP address from the old router(If you have configured them to get their IP addresses automatically).

matt_fleming

matt_fleming

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
If I am understanding you right, you don't need the second router to perform like a router? If so just set it up as a gatway and turn off dhcp

-Matt

Edited by matt_fleming, 19 July 2005 - 06:27 AM.

jftm

jftm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP!!

I CONFIGURED MY NETWORK AND ITS RUNNING PERFECT!!

THIS IS WHAT I DID (MAY HELP OTHERS)

1.-TURNED LINSYS TO ROUTER MODE (ORIGINAL IS GATEWAY)

2.-DISABLED DHCP IN LINKSYS ROUTER

3.-SET LOCAL IP ON LYNSYS TO 192.168.0.200 (OLDER NETGEAR IP IS 192.168.0.1 AND DCHP GOES FROM 192.168.0.2 TO 192.168.0.49)

4.-CONNECTED ONE LAN PORTS OF NETGEAR TO LAN PORT 1 ON LINSYS (WAN PORT ON LINSYS IS NEVER USED)

5.-CONNECTED 3COM STWITCH TO ONE LAN PORTS ON LINKSYS.

6.-ALL COMPUTERS IN THE SAME NETWORK!!!

NOTE: MY LINSYS ROUTER APPEARS AS ONE CLIENT IN NETGEAR'S IP LIST, BUT MAKES NO DIFERENCE AS ITS OFF THE RANGE OF DCHP.

DO YOU THINK SWITCHING LINSYS AND NETGEAR TO MAKE LINSYS THE ROUTER AND NETGEAR THE SWITCH AND AP WILL IMPROVE PERFORMANCE?? AS LINSYS HAS QoS AND BETTER SECURITY??

WELL THANKS A LOT AGAIN. AND THIS PROVES TO BE CHEAPER EASIER AND LESS WIRED SETUP THAN BUYING AN AP AND A SEPARATE SWITCH.