Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have to reset my router every startup

• Please log in to reply

Dolgo

Dolgo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Microsoft MN-700 with XP. I turn off my computer at night by the surge protector strip. My problem is that when I start my computer up and it goes through the whole boot up process, I have to reset my router each time after startup. Note: since my computer and router are on the same strip they both kind of boot up together but its like the router is too fast for the computer startup. Any tips, tricks or fixes???

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Yes, shut down the computer by using the "Shut down" button. Leave the router on. If you must, plug router directly into a wall socket or put it on a seperate surge. That's all up to you, but electrical damage can occur at any time, not just when storms, unless you have a phobia of fire hazard there is no reason to turn off the surge protector. Don't get me wrong, if a storm comes, by all means, unplug your stuff!! But if you trust it for regular days, why not trust it at night?

Greazy Mcgeezy

Dolgo

Dolgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you for your info I will try to leave it on.