Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive problem

• Please log in to reply

pompanoguy

pompanoguy

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
I have an Optorite Dv0203. It reads CD's but not DVD's. I keep getting the message "insert dvd". Since most of my backup data is on DVD, I need this to work. Any ideas as to why it will only read CD's and not DVD's? The DVD's are the proper format ( DVD minus ). Any help will be much appreciated.

Advertisements

gtippery

gtippery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Google doesn't show any hits at all for "Optorite Dv0203" (or "Optowrite Dv0203"). Are you sure that's the right model description?

What's your OS? Did you load any drivers for your OS that may have come with the drive? Have you checked the manufacturer's website (if you can find it) for newer drivers? Can you tell who (OEM) actually made the drive?

Are you running some program intended to read DVDs? Which one?

Will it read regular (commercial, stamped-not-burned) DVD's (movies or software)?

If it's a burner, does it recognize blank DVD-R's?

I've seen times when this message appeared on a previously-working (XP, HP DVD+RW) system. Had to reload the drivers and then reboot twice. No idea if this will work for you, though. :tazz:

pompanoguy

pompanoguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Google doesn't show any hits at all for "Optorite Dv0203" (or "Optowrite Dv0203").  Are you sure that's the right model description?

What's your OS?  Did you load any drivers for your OS that may have come with the drive?  Have you checked the manufacturer's website (if you can find it) for newer drivers?  Can you tell who (OEM) actually made the drive?

Are you running some program intended to read DVDs?  Which one? 

Will it read regular (commercial, stamped-not-burned) DVD's (movies or software)?

If it's a burner, does it recognize blank DVD-R's?

I've seen times when this message appeared on a previously-working (XP, HP DVD+RW) system.  Had to reload the drivers and then reboot twice.  No idea if this will work for you, though.  :tazz:

View Post

I have tried all the above. It is an OPTORITE DD0203. All the drivers are installed ( according to Windows XP)... It reads cd's. only. I have tried with a factory DVD, and stil reads "up a dvd into the drive". It gives me the same message with a blank DVD also. I have checked to manufacturers web site, and there are no new drivers for the DVD drive. I hope this helps.

gtippery

gtippery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

I have tried all the above.  It is an OPTORITE DD0203.  All the drivers are installed ( according to Windows XP)...  It reads cd's. only.  I have tried with a factory DVD, and stil reads "up a dvd into the drive".  It gives me the same message with a blank DVD also.  I have checked to manufacturers web site, and there are no new drivers for the DVD drive.  I hope this helps.

View Post

Ok, that model ID works. Check here on Google for a number of pages apparently related to your problem.

This page, among others, indicates that a firmware update is available, and how to tell if you need it. I'd say "check the manufacturer's page, too", but I did and there's not much. Here's the firmware download page, though.