Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I cant delete this file...

• Please log in to reply

GM_Omega

GM_Omega

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok this has been a problem for a while. It doesn't really affect my performance its just cosmetic and really annoying. I downloaded a help file maker called helpme9 off of Jan's Freeware . I didnt like it and now there is this folder that won't delete from my desktop. It will go to the recylce bin but wont permanantly delete (SHIFT+Delete also does not work.). When I try to delete it, an error shows up saying "Cannot delete HEADING: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name." Iv'e tried everything I could think of to remove this but I cant figure it out. Iv'e even tried using Killbot and Dellater. Any help would be greatly eppreciated!

-GM_Omega :tazz:

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Try tune up utilities and use tune up undelete and then run shredder over the selected items.

Emery

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Boot in MSDOS mode and delete it from there, Always works, always has

GM_Omega

GM_Omega

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Boot in MSDOS mode and delete it from there, Always works, always has

View Post

I would but I kinda...don't know how to do that in DOS. Any help? Sorry.

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
To delete a folder in DOS you will have to use the "Deltree" command, for example to delete the windows directory you type:

DELTREE C:\WINDOWS

You will then be prompted for a Y or N answer

Pressing “Y” and enter will start the deletion of the folder and all it’s contents, including subdirectories this will take several minutes, when finished it will be gone.

Pressing “N” and enter will cancel the operation.

NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU DON'T DELETE WINDOWS ITS AN EXAMPLE.
use the path to the folder, eg: C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop

But you have to start your computer in msdos mode, search google on instructions for this.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Or you could delete it in Safe Mode, or use MoveOnBoot.
http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

Johanna

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

DELTREE C:\WINDOWS

FOR SAFETY MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT EXECUTE THIS COMMAND EXACTLY

delete only the folder that you are talking about.... deltree c:\windows would be very VERY bad

(not assuming that you didn't understand the original suggestion just making sure that you don't accidentally delete the folder you are wanting to remove by deleting windows)

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
hehe, yeah dont use that exactly :tazz:

Edited by ratmilk, 08 July 2005 - 05:15 PM.