Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Error After Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

CPTino3001

CPTino3001

• Pip
  • 4 posts
After using windows update the other day, I booted windows to an odd looking taskbar. The normal blue taskbar was grey and square for a few minutes before resizing itself back to normal.

I then tried to open a few audio files and I got the following error:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there might be a problem with your sound or video device. Try installing an updated device driver.

So, I uninstalled all of the Windows Security Updates, which solves the problem sometimes, but not always. If I completely reinstall my sound card, sometimes that works. Neither method on its own or together is consistant though.

I can't seem to find any reason for the problems. All I know is that it never happened before updating windows the other day.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in device manager, remove your audio device and then reboot. windows will reinstall the device on startup.

when you updated, did you update critical updates, or all updates?

CPTino3001

CPTino3001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I went back and did all of the updates and it seems to work now. I guess I'll just make sure I have all of them in the future, and not just the criticals.

CPTino3001

CPTino3001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Updating, yet again, only temporarily solved the problem. I keep having to uninstall/reinstall my sound for any audio/video to work.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, because I'm at my wits end.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when the device is not working, what do you see in device manager? Is it being misidentified?

What sound card is it? Did you remove it as I suggested, or just reinstall the drivers?

CPTino3001

CPTino3001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Everything looks normal in the device manager, everything checks out and appears to be working, it just doesn't.

It is a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum eX and I uninstalled it like you said using the device manager.

Edited by CPTino3001, 10 July 2005 - 11:42 PM.